Calculating T2(x) at -1 with Error Less than 1/80 for f(x)=1/1-2x

• Thread starter vickymath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the error in calculating T2(x) at -1 on the interval -1.5,-1 for the function f(x)=1/1-2x with an upper bound of 1/80. The speaker has calculated f"'=48/(1-2x)^4 and f"'(-1.5)=3/16 but is unsure of how to find the error at 1/80. They mention using the (n+1)th derivative at a point in the interval to find an upper bound on the error.
vickymath
i really need help with this prob f(x)=1/1-2x i have to calculate T2(x) at -1 on the interval -1.5,-1 with an error less than 1/80.
I got f"'=48/(1-2x)^4 and f"'(-1.5)=3/16 and i can't get the error at 1/80 . Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several methods to give an upper bound on the error. The one I would use requires the (n+1)th derivative at some point in the interval - take the point where the absolute value of the derivative has the largest value for an upper bound.

Does this help to fill the gaps in your answer?

yep, thank you

What is the problem asking me to do?

The problem is asking you to find the value of f(x) when x = 1/2.

How do I solve this problem?

To solve this problem, plug in 1/2 for x in the given function f(x)=1/1-2x and simplify the expression.

What is the value of f(x) when x = 1/2?

The value of f(x) when x = 1/2 is 1.

Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this problem. Simply input the expression 1/1-2(1/2) and the calculator will give you the answer of 1.

What happens if I plug in a different value for x?

The value of f(x) will change depending on the value of x. You can plug in different values for x to find the corresponding value of f(x).