Taylor series and convergence

Hi,
Im really stuck on my homework . The question is : For what values of x do you expect the following Taylor series to converge? Do not work out the series .
(a) sqrtX^2-x-2 about x=1/3 b) sin(1-x^2) about x=0

for a) I've put no vlues of x would the series converge. is this correct?
and for b) Im not sure

any help would be appreciated
thankyou
ellie

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi,
Im really stuck on my homework . The question is : For what values of x do you expect the following Taylor series to converge? Do not work out the series .
(a) sqrtX^2-x-2 about x=1/3
The Taylor series of a function, around x= a, converges over an interval symmetric about a up until a point where function is not "analytic" which includes being continuous, differentiable, etc. [math]x^2- x- 2= (x- 2)(x+ 1)[/math] is negative for x between -1 and 2 and so its square root is not defined there. x= 2 is closer to 3 than -1 is so the series converges for all x between 2 and 3 and for an equal distance on the other side: the Taylor seires for [itex]\sqrt{x^2- x- 2}[/itex], about x= 3, will converge for x between 2 and 4.

b) sin(1-x^2) about x=0
This function is analytic for all x. It's Taylor's series, about any point, will converge for all x.

for a) I've put no vlues of x would the series converge. is this correct?
Every power series, of the form [itex]\sum p_n(x- a)^n[/itex] converges for at least x= a!

and for b) Im not sure

any help would be appreciated
thankyou
ellie

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity