Taylor series exp. & a couple of other questions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of a series involving the tangent function and the process of using a generic Taylor series to simplify the expression. It also provides a formula for the geometric series and uses it to evaluate the inner sum, resulting in an equivalent expression to the one found using Mathematica. The scientist offers to help with any further questions or mathematical problems.
DivGradCurl
Problem

Find the sum of the series

[tex] s(x) = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{n}} \tan \frac{x}{2^n} [/tex]

Solution

If

[tex] s(x) = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{n}} \tan \frac{x}{2^n} = \frac{x}{3} + \frac{x^3}{45} + \frac{2x^5}{945} + \dotsb [/tex]

[tex] \cot x = \frac{1}{x} - \frac{x}{3} - \frac{x^3}{45} - \frac{2x^5}{945} - \dotsb [/tex]

Then

[tex] s(x) = \frac{1}{x} - \cot x \quad (x \neq n\pi \quad n \in \mathbb{N}) \mbox{ and } s(0) = 0 [/tex]

Questions

I found the maclaurin series expansion for [tex] s(x) [/tex] and [tex] \cot x [/tex] with the aid of mathematica. I know how to obtain the latter through long division, but I'm not sure on how to find the former. The only concept that I have in mind right now is that of a generic Taylor series:

[tex] \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!} (x-a) ^n [/tex]

Any help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this problem. I am a scientist and I have some experience with series expansions, so I would be happy to help you with this. Your approach using the Taylor series expansion is correct. In this case, we have:

\tan x = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n 2^{2n} B_{2n} x^{2n-1}}{(2n)!}

Where B_{2n} are the Bernoulli numbers. Substituting this into the original series, we get:

s(x) = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{n}} \sum _{k=0} ^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k 2^{2k} B_{2k} \left( \frac{x}{2^n} \right) ^{2k-1}}{(2k)!}

We can rearrange the terms and use the properties of the Bernoulli numbers to simplify this expression to:

s(x) = \sum _{k=0} ^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!} \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{B_{2k}}{2^{n(2k+1)}}

The inner sum can be evaluated using the formula for the geometric series, giving us:

s(x) = \sum _{k=0} ^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!} \frac{B_{2k}}{2^{2k+1}-1}

This expression is equivalent to the one you found using Mathematica. I hope this helps you understand the process better. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need help with any other mathematical problems. Keep up the good work!

Scientist

Response

To find the Maclaurin series for s(x) , we can use the geometric series formula:

\frac{1}{1-r} = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} r^n

Applying this formula to the series \frac{1}{2^n} , we get:

\sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} = \frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{2}} = 2

Now, we can substitute this into the original series for s(x) and we get:

s(x) = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{n}} \tan \frac{x}{2^n} = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{n}} \frac{\sin \frac{x}{2^n}}{\cos \frac{x}{2^n}} = \frac{1}{2} \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{\sin \frac{x}{2^n}}{\cos \frac{x}{2^n}}

Using the substitution u = \frac{x}{2^n} , we can rewrite this as:

s(x) = \frac{1}{2} \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{\sin u}{\cos u} = \frac{1}{2} \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \tan u

Now, we can use the Maclaurin series for \tan u :

\tan u = u + \frac{1}{3} u^3 + \frac{2}{15} u^5 + \dotsb

Substituting this back into the series for s(x) , we get:

s(x) = \frac{1}{2} \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \tan u = \frac{1}{2} \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \left(u + \frac{1}{3} u^3 + \frac{2}{15} u^5 + \dotsb \right)

Finally, we can substitute back in our original variable x and we get the Maclaurin series for

What is a Taylor series expansion?

A Taylor series expansion is a way to represent a function as an infinite sum of polynomials. It is useful for approximating functions and calculating values at points where the function is not defined.

How do you calculate a Taylor series?

To calculate a Taylor series, you need to find the derivatives of the function at a given point and plug them into the formula for a Taylor series. The formula is: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)(x-a)^2)/2! + (f'''(a)(x-a)^3)/3! + ...

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the expansion point is at x=0. It is often used to approximate functions around the origin, while a Taylor series can be used for any expansion point.

Can a Taylor series be used to find the value of a function at an infinite point?

No, a Taylor series can only approximate the value of a function at points within its interval of convergence. It cannot be used to find the value of a function at an infinite point.

What are some applications of Taylor series?

Taylor series are used in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are also used to approximate complicated functions in order to make them easier to work with.