1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series for xln(x)

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For f(x) = xln(x), find the taylor series expansion of f(x) about x = 1, and write the infinite series in compact form.

2. The attempt at a solution

I can find the expansion itself fine, these are the first few terms:

[tex]0 + (x-1) + \frac{(x-1)^{2}}{2!} - \frac{(x-1)^{3}}{3!} + \frac{2(x-1)^{4}}{4!} - \frac{6(x-1)^{5}}{5!} + \frac{24(x-1)^{6}}{6!}[/tex]

but I'm having trouble finding a pattern for the nth term (and I can't write it in compact form without that). f(1) and the first 7 derivatives of f(x) at x = 1 end up being 0, 1, 1, -1, 2, -6, 24, and it's mainly that part that seems to make finding it a problem.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2
    Do you know the Taylor series expansion for [itex]\ln(1 + t)[/itex]? What is the relation between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex]?

4. May 13, 2010 #3
    I guess it would be t - (t^2)/2 + (t^3)/3 - (t^4)/4 + (t^5)/5 etc. if it was about t = 0? Not sure what you mean by the relationship between x and t though.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. May 13, 2010 #4
    Why do you use [itex]x[/itex] in your expansion of [itex]\ln(1 + t)[/itex]? And, if you do not know what I mean by relation between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], all I can say is think harder how this helps with regards to your problem.

6. May 13, 2010 #5
    Sorry, it was supposed to be t in there, anyway I'll see if I can figure out what you meant.

7. May 13, 2010 #6
    I don't understand why it isn't:

[tex]0 + 0 + \frac{(x-1)^{2}}{2!} - \frac{(x-1)^{3}}{3!} + \frac{2(x-1)^{4}}{4!} - \frac{6(x-1)^{5}}{5!} + \frac{24(x-1)^{6}}{6!}[/tex]

Doesn't f'(0) = 0?

8. May 13, 2010 #7
    f'(x) is ln(x) + 1, and in this question it's at x = 1 not x = 0 (which wouldn't be defined for f'(x) anyway)
    so it's f'(1) = ln(1) + 1 = 1 in that case.

9. May 13, 2010 #8
    I made a typo. I was supposed to write f'(1) = 0. But yeah, I was wrong anyway.

10. May 13, 2010 #9
    I'm still not having much luck figuring this out, any chance you could be a bit more specific about what you meant?

11. May 13, 2010 #10
    If you need the Taylor expansion of a function [itex]f(x)[/itex], but you know the Taylor expansion of [itex]f(1 + t)[/itex] around [itex]t = 0[/itex], then how should you express this [itex]t[/itex] in terms of the original [itex]x[/itex]? Also, to what value of [itex]x[/itex] would [itex]t = 0[/itex] correspond to?

12. May 13, 2010 #11
    [itex]t=x-1[/itex] and when [itex]t=0, x=1[/itex] ? I just realised that for a function like [itex]xln(1+x)[/itex] you can find the series for [itex]ln(1+x)[/itex] and multiply the compact form by [itex]x[/itex] to give the expansion for [itex]xln(1+x)[/itex].

It looks like I need to do something similar here, but I'm not sure what that last step would be now. I thought I might be able to multiply the taylor series of [itex]ln(x)[/itex] by [itex]x[/itex] to give the series for [itex]xln(x)[/itex], but that didn't work out the same way.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  13. May 14, 2010 #12
    The coefficient in front of [itex]ln(1+t)[/itex] is not [itex]t[/itex] anymore after this substitution had been made. You get two terms. Then you need to add the series term by term and simplify everything.

14. May 14, 2010 #13
    By the coefficient [itex]t[/itex] for [itex]ln(1+t)[/itex], do you mean when it would be [itex]t ln(1+t)[/itex]? (making it [itex](x-1)ln(x)[/itex] after the substitution)

15. May 14, 2010 #14
    No. Will you please provide a step by step procedure for your solution, so that we can tell you where you are wrong. We are not allowed to give detailed solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook