Taylor series generated at x=a

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of shifting a series by using a value other than 0, such as in a Maclaurin series for ln(x). It mentions the possibility of using a Taylor series in powers of x - 1 to estimate values of ln(x) for numbers other than 2. The concept of a radius of convergence is explained, and the idea of expanding around a point 'a' close to the desired x value is mentioned as a way to get more accurate answers from fewer terms. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of expanding in multiple areas to avoid singularities and the advantage of writing solutions to linear differential equations as power series in powers of x-a.
member 508213
I have just started learning about series and I don't see the benefit of shifting the series by using some "a" other than 0?

My textbook doesn't really tell the benefits it just says "it is very useful"'

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin said:
I have just started learning about series and I don't see the benefit of shifting the series by using some "a" other than 0?

My textbook doesn't really tell the benefits it just says "it is very useful"'
You can't write a Maclaurin series (i.e., a Taylor series with a = 0) for f(x) = ln(x), since the function and all of its derivatives are not defined at x = 0. You can, however, write a Taylor series in powers of, say, x - 1, though.

Would you be able to write a power series to estimate any value of lnx? I cannot think of a way to write a series to estimate ln9 for example... Is it possible? Every example I see is estimating ln2 and I feel like there must be some way to estimate other values but I cannot think of a way since the series diverges after 1 in each direction (from what I've seen)

Austin said:
Would you be able to write a power series to estimate any value of lnx? I cannot think of a way to write a series to estimate ln9 for example... Is it possible? Every example I see is estimating ln2 and I feel like there must be some way to estimate other values but I cannot think of a way since the series diverges after 1 in each direction (from what I've seen)
Off the top of my head I don't know what the radius of convergence is for this series. You could write it in powers of x - e2, with e2 being about 7.39, which might be close enough to 9.

Mark44 said:
Off the top of my head I don't know what the radius of convergence is for this series. You could write it in powers of x - e2, with e2 being about 7.39, which might be close enough to 9.
Oh I see! The point of having a Taylor Series centered around some arbitrary a is to move your radius of convergence in a sense, is that correct?

Austin said:
Oh I see! The point of having a Taylor Series centered around some arbitrary a is to move your radius of convergence in a sense, is that correct?
Something like that. You move the interval of convergence. The radius doesn't change.

Austin said:
The power series for ln((1+x)/(1-x)) converges for -1<x<1, which can (in principal) be used for any y = (1+x)/(1-x) > 0.

There are several reasons. Including:
1) You can get more accurate answers from fewer terms if you can expand around point 'a' close to the x value you are interested in.
2) Others have mentioned the radius of convergence, which can not go beyond any singularity. So you may need to expand in several areas.
3) You may need to cancel one function's singularity at z=a by expanding another multiplying function that has a zero at z=a.

Another point: if you have a linear differential equation of the form [tex]y''+ f(x)y'+ g(x)y[/tex], with "initial values" y(a)= b, y'(a)= c; that is, with values of y and its derivative give at x= a, it is simplest to write the solution as a power series in powers of x-a. That is, in the form [tex]y= b+ c(x- a)+ p_2(x- a)^2+ p_3(x- a)^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex] so that the first two coefficients are the given values, b and c. You can then write the functions f and g in Taylor series about a.

1. What is a Taylor series generated at x=a?

A Taylor series generated at x=a is a mathematical representation of a function using a sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point (x=a). It is a useful tool for approximating the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How is a Taylor series generated at x=a calculated?

To calculate a Taylor series generated at x=a, one must first find the derivatives of the function at the point x=a. Then, these derivatives are substituted into the general form of a Taylor series, which is a sum of terms with coefficients determined by the derivatives. The more terms that are included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the significance of choosing the point x=a for a Taylor series?

The point x=a is often chosen for a Taylor series because it makes the series simpler and easier to calculate. Additionally, the series will be most accurate near the point x=a, which is useful for approximating the behavior of the function near that point.

4. Can a Taylor series generated at x=a be used to approximate a function at points other than x=a?

Yes, a Taylor series generated at x=a can be used to approximate a function at points other than x=a. However, the accuracy of the approximation will decrease as the distance from x=a increases. This is why choosing a point x=a that is close to the desired point of approximation is important.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor series generated at x=a?

One limitation of using Taylor series generated at x=a is that the series is only accurate near the point x=a. For points further away, the approximation may not be reliable. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the smoothness of the function, so it may not work well for functions with discontinuities or sharp changes in behavior.