Solve Taylor Series & Groups Homework: Show T(a) = exp(iap_x)

• Thread starter limddavid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taylor
In summary, the conversation discusses the translation operator T(a) and its relationship to the linear momentum operator p_x. The hint suggests expanding ψ(x+a) as a Taylor series and using the definition of the exponential function to show that T(a) is equal to exp(iap_x). The conversation also addresses the difficulty in interpreting the operator px and the definition of the exponential function for operators.
limddavid

Homework Statement

A translation operator T(a) coverts ψ(x) to ψ(x+a),

T(a)ψ(x) = ψ(x+a)

In terms of the (quantum mechanical) linear momentum operator p_x = -id/dx, show that T(a) = exp(iap_x), that is, p_x is the generator of translations. Hint. Expand ψ(x+a) as a Taylor series.

Homework Equations

Groups?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost at the hint. To expand ψ(x+a) as a Taylor series, don't I need a point around which to expand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
limddavid said:

Homework Statement

A translation operator T(a) coverts ψ(x) to ψ(x+a),

T(a)ψ(x) = ψ(x+a)

In terms of the (quantum mechanical) linear momentum operator p_x = -id/dx, show that T(a) = exp(iap_x), that is, p_x is the generator of translations. Hint. Expand ψ(x+a) as a Taylor series.

Homework Equations

Groups?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost at the hint. To expand ψ(x+a) as a Taylor series, don't I need a point around which to expand it?

Yes- a.

Ok. so would the taylor series be:

ψ(a+a)+ψ'(a+a)(x-a)+ψ''(a+a)*(x-a)^2/2!+... ? and maybe disregard the higher order terms O(3)? Or would it be

ψ(a)+ψ'(a)*(x)+ψ''(a)*(x)^2/2!+... ? Either way, I'm not sure how I would prove that T(a) is the given exponential function..

You want to expand about x=x, i.e., ψ(x+a) = ψ(x)+...

ok.. so i expanded that, and got ψ(x)+aψ'(x)+a^2*ψ''(x)/2!+ ...

But the LHS gives me:

e^(i*a*px)[ψ(x)]=e^(a*dψ/dx)=e^(-iak*ψ(x)), which is clearly not the left hand side. Am I interpreting the operator px wrong? This class is not a quantum dynamics class, so I'm having difficulty figuring out what I'm missing.

You can't pull ψ(x) into the exponent like that because ψ(x) isn't an eigenfunction of the operator [itex]\hat{p}_x[/itex].

It's not be exactly obvious what the expression [itex]e^{ia\hat{p}_x}[/itex] means. How do you exponentiate an operator? The answer is that it's defined by the Taylor series for ex:
[tex]e^{ia\hat{p}_x} \equiv 1+ia\hat{p}_x+\frac{(ia\hat{p}_x)^2}{2!}+\cdots[/tex]What do you get when you apply the righthand side to ψ(x)?

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a multiple of a particular power of the independent variable. It is used to approximate a function around a specific point, providing an increasingly accurate representation as more terms are added.

2. How do you solve a Taylor series?

To solve a Taylor series, you need to first determine the point around which the series will be centered, usually denoted as a. Then, you need to find the derivatives of the function at that point. These derivatives will be used to calculate the coefficients of the terms in the series. Finally, you can write out the series using the general formula: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ...

3. What is the significance of the exponential function in Taylor series?

The exponential function is significant in Taylor series because it is one of the most commonly used functions, and it can be written as an infinite sum using its own Taylor series. This makes it a useful tool for approximating other functions through substitution.

4. What is the role of groups in solving Taylor series?

Groups play a crucial role in solving Taylor series as they provide a framework for organizing and classifying different types of functions. In particular, the use of Lie groups can simplify the calculation of Taylor series, as they have special properties that allow for more efficient solutions.

5. How does the equation T(a) = exp(iap_x) relate to Taylor series?

This equation is an example of a Taylor series, where T(a) represents the function being approximated, exp(iap_x) is the general form of the Taylor series, and a is the point around which the series is centered. It is used to solve for the coefficients of the terms in the series, which can then be used to approximate the original function around the point a.