1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series/Groups

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A translation operator T(a) coverts ψ(x) to ψ(x+a),

T(a)ψ(x) = ψ(x+a)

In terms of the (quantum mechanical) linear momentum operator p_x = -id/dx, show that T(a) = exp(iap_x), that is, p_x is the generator of translations. Hint. Expand ψ(x+a) as a Taylor series.

2. Relevant equations

Groups?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm lost at the hint. To expand ψ(x+a) as a Taylor series, don't I need a point around which to expand it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes- a.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    Ok. so would the taylor series be:

ψ(a+a)+ψ'(a+a)(x-a)+ψ''(a+a)*(x-a)^2/2!+... ? and maybe disregard the higher order terms O(3)? Or would it be

ψ(a)+ψ'(a)*(x)+ψ''(a)*(x)^2/2!+... ? Either way, I'm not sure how I would prove that T(a) is the given exponential function..

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You want to expand about x=x, i.e., ψ(x+a) = ψ(x)+....

6. Dec 1, 2011 #5
    ok.. so i expanded that, and got ψ(x)+aψ'(x)+a^2*ψ''(x)/2!+ ...

But the LHS gives me:

e^(i*a*px)[ψ(x)]=e^(a*dψ/dx)=e^(-iak*ψ(x)), which is clearly not the left hand side. Am I interpreting the operator px wrong? This class is not a quantum dynamics class, so I'm having difficulty figuring out what i'm missing.

7. Dec 2, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can't pull ψ(x) into the exponent like that because ψ(x) isn't an eigenfunction of the operator [itex]\hat{p}_x[/itex].

It's not be exactly obvious what the expression [itex]e^{ia\hat{p}_x}[/itex] means. How do you exponentiate an operator? The answer is that it's defined by the Taylor series for ex:
    [tex]e^{ia\hat{p}_x} \equiv 1+ia\hat{p}_x+\frac{(ia\hat{p}_x)^2}{2!}+\cdots[/tex]What do you get when you apply the righthand side to ψ(x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook