1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series Help

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    Let ƒ be the function given by f (x) = e ^ (x / 2)

(a) Write the first four nonzero terms and the general term for the Taylor series expansion of ƒ(x) about x = 0.
    (b) Use the result from part (a) to write the first three nonzero terms and the general term of the series expansion about x = 0 for g (x) = ((e^(x / 2)) – 1)/x

For part a I got
    P4 = 1 + x/2 + ((x/2)^2)/2! + ((x/2)^3)/3!

E ((x/2)^n)/n!
    E = summation sign n=0 to infinity

For part b I got, which was marked wrong,
    x-1 + ((x/2)2 – 1)/(2!x) + ((x/2)3 – 1)/(3!x)

E ((x/2)n - 1)/(n!x)

On my paper my teacher marked only –1 once and I am not for sure what that means. Any help on part B would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You were, of course, correct that the Taylor's series for e^(x2) is 1+ x/2+ ((x/2)^2)/2!+ ((x/2)^3)/3!+ ...
    But for (b) you seem to have just stuck a "-1" into the numerator, and divided some of the denominators by x. Do it step by step:
    e^(x/2)= 1+ (x/2)+ (x/2)^2/2!+ (x/2)^3/3!+ ... (which I would prefer to write as 1+ x/2+ x^2/((4)(2!))+ x^3/((8)(3!))+ ...) so
    e^(x/2)-1= x/2+ x^2/((4)(2!))+ x^3/((8)(3!))+ ... and finally
    (e^(x/2)-1)/x=(1/2)+ x/((4)(2!)+ x^2/(8)(3!)+...
    I think that is
    [tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{2^{n+1}(n+1)!}[/tex]
  4. Apr 4, 2007 #3
    Thank you, it actually makes sense now.
  5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

there was a part c for this too. it said:
    c) for the function g in part b, find g'(2) and use it to show that [tex]\sum_{n= 1}^\infty \frac{n}{4(n+1)!}[/tex] = 1/4
    i don't know how to start it, or what to do. help please?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?