Taylor Series Help: ƒ(x) = e^(x/2), g(x) = ((e^(x/2)) - 1)/x

In summary, for the function given by f(x) = e^(x/2), the Taylor series expansion about x = 0 is 1+ x/2+ ((x/2)^2)/2!+ ((x/2)^3)/3!+ ...
thedudescousin
Let ƒ be the function given by f (x) = e ^ (x / 2)

(a) Write the first four nonzero terms and the general term for the Taylor series expansion of ƒ(x) about x = 0.
(b) Use the result from part (a) to write the first three nonzero terms and the general term of the series expansion about x = 0 for g (x) = ((e^(x / 2)) – 1)/x

For part a I got
P4 = 1 + x/2 + ((x/2)^2)/2! + ((x/2)^3)/3!

E ((x/2)^n)/n!
E = summation sign n=0 to infinity

For part b I got, which was marked wrong,
x-1 + ((x/2)2 – 1)/(2!x) + ((x/2)3 – 1)/(3!x)

E ((x/2)n - 1)/(n!x)

On my paper my teacher marked only –1 once and I am not for sure what that means. Any help on part B would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
thedudescousin said:
Let ƒ be the function given by f (x) = e ^ (x / 2)

(a) Write the first four nonzero terms and the general term for the Taylor series expansion of ƒ(x) about x = 0.
(b) Use the result from part (a) to write the first three nonzero terms and the general term of the series expansion about x = 0 for g (x) = ((e^(x / 2)) – 1)/x

For part a I got
P4 = 1 + x/2 + ((x/2)^2)/2! + ((x/2)^3)/3!

E ((x/2)^n)/n!
E = summation sign n=0 to infinity
Good!

For part b I got, which was marked wrong,
x-1 + ((x/2)2 – 1)/(2!x) + ((x/2)3 – 1)/(3!x)

E ((x/2)n - 1)/(n!x)

On my paper my teacher marked only –1 once and I am not for sure what that means. Any help on part B would be greatly appreciated.
You were, of course, correct that the Taylor's series for e^(x2) is 1+ x/2+ ((x/2)^2)/2!+ ((x/2)^3)/3!+ ...
But for (b) you seem to have just stuck a "-1" into the numerator, and divided some of the denominators by x. Do it step by step:
e^(x/2)= 1+ (x/2)+ (x/2)^2/2!+ (x/2)^3/3!+ ... (which I would prefer to write as 1+ x/2+ x^2/((4)(2!))+ x^3/((8)(3!))+ ...) so
e^(x/2)-1= x/2+ x^2/((4)(2!))+ x^3/((8)(3!))+ ... and finally
(e^(x/2)-1)/x=(1/2)+ x/((4)(2!)+ x^2/(8)(3!)+...
I think that is
[tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{2^{n+1}(n+1)!}[/tex]

Thank you, it actually makes sense now.

good!

there was a part c for this too. it said:
c) for the function g in part b, find g'(2) and use it to show that [tex]\sum_{n= 1}^\infty \frac{n}{4(n+1)!}[/tex] = 1/4
i don't know how to start it, or what to do. help please?

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, which are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. It is used to approximate the value of a function at any point within its interval of convergence.

2. How do I find the Taylor series for a given function?

To find the Taylor series for a given function, you must first find the derivatives of the function at a single point. Then, use the formula for the Taylor series to calculate each term. The Taylor series will be the sum of all these terms.

3. What is the formula for a Taylor series?

The formula for a Taylor series is: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2 + (f'''(a)/3!)(x-a)^3 + ... + (f^n(a)/n!)(x-a)^n + ...

4. Can Taylor series be used to approximate any function?

No, Taylor series can only be used to approximate functions with continuous derivatives. They may also have a limited interval of convergence, which means they can only approximate the function within a certain range of values.

5. How can I use Taylor series to find the value of a function at a specific point?

To find the value of a function at a specific point, you can plug in the value into the Taylor series formula and calculate the sum of the terms up to a desired degree of precision. The more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be.