1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series of Function

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Expand V(z + dz, t).
    I have seen problems like this in both my EnM and semiconductor courses but it's bothering me because I don't understand how the Taylor series is being used in this case...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Taylor series: f(a) + f'(x-a) + ....

let f = V(z+dz, t)

Here is where I get stuck... I don't really know what to do

I guess the first term: V(z,t) makes sense
    but the second term: dV(z,t)/dz delta(z) doesn't make any sense to me at all...

What the heck happens in the second term?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The formula for the taylor series of [itex]f(x,t)[/itex] about the point [itex]x=a[/itex] is actually:

[tex]f(x,t)=f(a,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=a} \right) \frac{(x-a)}{1!}+\left( \left \frac{\partial ^2f(x,t)}{\partial x^2} {\right|}_{x=a} \right) \frac{(x-a)^2}{2!}+\ldots[/tex]

In your case, you would use this for [itex]x=z+dz[/itex] and [itex]a=z[/itex] so [itex]x-a=dz[/itex] and

[tex]\Rightarrow f(z+dz,t)=f(z,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=z} \right) \frac{dz}{1!}+\left( \left \frac{\partial ^2f(x,t)}{\partial x^2} {\right|}_{x=z} \right) \frac{(dz)^2}{2!}+\ldots[/tex]

But(!) [itex]dz[/itex] is an infinitesimal, so all the terms of order [itex](dz)^2[/itex] and higher are VERY small and so they can be neglected:

[tex]\Rightarrow f(z+dz,t) \approx f(z,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=z} \right)dz[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?