1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series Question

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    Problem Statement
    Compute the Taylor Series expansion of f(x) = exp(-x^2) around 0 and use it to find an approximate value of the integral (from 0 to 0.1) of exp(-t^2) dt

First to compute the Taylor Series - I am pretty sure about this step so I will not give details. But if I am wrong, please correct.

Taylor Series = 1 - (x^2) + (x^4)/2! - (x^6)/3! + ... --- EQUATION 1

And a closed form solution is from Sum (i from 0 to inf) of (-1^i)* (x^2*i)/i!

This is the part I am not doing right - maybe I am not approaching the problem in the right way.
    To solve the integral evaluate the Taylor Series in equation 1 above at 0.1 and 0 and subtract. Also, I took just the first 4 terms of equation 1. Is there a way I can determine how many terms I should take?

At x = 0.1: Equation 1 is evaluated to 0.99004983375
    At x = 0.0: Equation 1 is evaluated to 1.000000000000
    Subtracting above gives me an integral value of -0.00995016625.

So my two questions are:

1- Now this I know is clearly wrong as the value should be positive but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. The absolute value above is right but why am I getting a negative. I tried above method for positive exponentials and it worked but any negative exponential, I am always getting the negative answer.

2- How do I determine how many terms I should use in my Taylor Series expression.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, don't you think you should rather calculate
    [tex]\int_0^{0.1} T_n(x) \, \mathrm{d}x[/tex]
    instead of
    [tex]T_n(0.1) - T_n(0)[/tex]
    where [itex]T_n(x)[/itex] is the n-th order Taylor series for the function
    (so for example, [itex]T_4(x) = T_5(x) = 1 - x^2 + x^4/2[/itex] and [itex]T_6(x) = 1 - x^2 + x^4/2 - x^6/6[/itex]).

Then you can just take it up to order 6 and already get an error of less than [itex]10^{-10}[/itex]. You could do look at the terms you have neglected to estimate the error (e.g. neglecting x^8 and higher, the error you make will be at most of order 1/9 (0,1)^9).
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    i dont know abput you. but i only got notes on these questions. cheak then for refernbce. my blog can be found at the top blogs section. kaixuan
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?