1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series question

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    What does it mean to calculate the Taylor series ABOUT a particular point?

I understand the formula for the Taylor series but how do you solve it about a particular point for a function? It's the about the particular point that confuses me.

Could someone please explain this and provide examples?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A Taylor series of a function [itex]f[/itex], about the point [itex]x = 0[/itex] is a representation of [itex]f[/itex] as a sum of polynomials centered at [itex]x = 0[/itex], namely [itex]x, x^2, x^3, x^4, \ldots[/itex]

Thus it will have the form

[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3 + a_4 x^4 + \ldots[/tex]

More generally, we can express [itex]f[/itex] as a sum of polynomials centered at some other point, say [itex]x = c[/itex]. Then it will look like

[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 (x - c) + a_2(x - c)^2 + a_3 (x - c)^3 + a_4 (x - c)^4 + \ldots[/tex]

This is a more general form: if I set [itex]c = 0[/itex] then it reduces to the previous equation. Note that the values of the coefficients generally change if I change [itex]c[/itex]. Here is the formula for the k'th coefficient:

[tex]a_k = \frac{f^{(k)}(c)}{k!}[/tex]

where [itex]f^{(0)}[/itex] is taken to mean [itex]f[/itex], and [itex]f^{(k)}[/itex] means the k'th derivative of [itex]f[/itex]. So to calculate [itex]a_k[/itex], you find the k'th derivative of [itex]f[/itex] and evaluate it at [itex]x = c[/itex].

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As a simple example, take [itex]f(x) = e^x[/itex]. This is a nice example because all of the derivatives also equal [itex]e^x[/itex]. Thus, if I center the Taylor series at [itex]c[/itex], the coefficients will be
    [tex]a_k = \frac{f^{(k)}(c)}{k!} = \frac{e^c}{k!}[/tex]
    and the series will therefore be
    [tex]e^x = \frac{e^c}{0!} + \frac{e^c}{1!}(x - c) + \frac{e^c}{2!}(x - c)^2 + \ldots[/tex]
    For the special case [itex]c = 0[/itex], we have [itex]e^c = e^0 = 1[/itex] so the coefficient simplifies to
    [tex]a_k = \frac{1}{k!}[/tex]
    and the series will therefore be
    [tex]e^x = \frac{1}{0!} + \frac{1}{1!}x + \frac{1}{2!}x^2 + \ldots[/tex]

5. Jan 11, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The Taylor series is only defined to be about a particular point. The Taylor series expansion of y(x) about point x=a would be: $$y(x)_a = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}}{n!}(x-a)^n$$ It will be exact at that point - see:

220px-Exp_series.gif

... this is the Taylor series expansion (red line), taken about x=0, for the exponential function. See how after each term is added in, the red line has the same value as the blue at x=0? As an exercise, try doing the expansion for ##y(x)=e^x## about ##x=2##, and compare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook