Estimating Remainders for Taylor Series of Sin(x)

In summary, the 3rd order taylor series for sin(x) only includes terms up to and including the x^3 term. In the remainder formula, n refers to the number of terms, not necessarily the powers. In this case, the formula is true for every n, but it is important to use the same n for both the expansion and error. The remainder for sin(x) is equal to the remainder for the 4th order Taylor polynomial because the x^4 term vanishes. It is more common to find an upper bound for the remainder instead of the actual value, and using the formula for a higher-order remainder will give a better estimate.
member 508213
I am just trying to clarify this point which I am unsure about:

If I am asked to write out (for example) a third order taylor polynomial for sin(x), does that mean I would write out 3 terms of the series OR to the x^3 term.

x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!

or just

x-x^3/3!Also, I have a question for the remainder theorem for taylor series (or Lagrange). If I am doing the remainder for a a polynomial for sinx written out as x-x^3/3!, the remainder theorem says use f^n+1(c)(x-a)^n+1/(n+1)!...but for sinx it skips the x^4 term so how would this work? I would assume you would just use the next term: (x^5/5!) but it does not say this anywhere I can find so I am unsure.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3rd order taylor series for sin(x) would only be up to the x^3 term.

In the remainder formula, n refers to the number of terms, not necessarily the powers. In this case x is the first term, -x^3/3! is the 2nd term, and x^5/5! is the 3rd term.

Third order in the general case means up to the ##x^3## term. When you remember that a lot of terms are zero in your expression because they involve the sine of zero, maybe it becomes more clear.

DarthMatter said:
Third order in the general case means up to the ##x^3## term.
A tiny bit of "wordsmithing" to be clear: "up to and including"

Likes DarthMatter
jbstemp said:
In the remainder formula, n refers to the number of terms, not necessarily the powers. In this case x is the first term, -x^3/3! is the 2nd term, and x^5/5! is the 3rd term.
The n has the same meaning as in "expansion to order n", but the formula is true for every n so it does not really matter as long as you use the same n for both expansion and error.
Austin said:
but for sinx it skips the x^4 term so how would this work?
It is 0*x4. There is nothing special about the zero.

Austin said:
Also, I have a question for the remainder theorem for taylor series (or Lagrange). If I am doing the remainder for a a polynomial for sinx written out as x-x^3/3!, the remainder theorem says use f^n+1(c)(x-a)^n+1/(n+1)!...but for sinx it skips the x^4 term so how would this work? I would assume you would just use the next term: (x^5/5!) but it does not say this anywhere I can find so I am unsure.
By definition, the remainders are given by
\begin{align*}
R_3(x) &= \sin x - T_3(x) \\
R_4(x) &= \sin x - T_4(x)
\end{align*} where ##T_n(x)## is the n-th order Taylor polynomial. For ##\sin x## about x=0, you have ##T_3(x)=T_4(x)## because the ##x^4## term vanishes; therefore, the remainders ##R_3(x)## and ##R_4(x)## have to be equal. Typically, however, you don't calculate the actual remainder. Instead, you find an upper bound. If you find an upper bound for ##R_4(x)##, it would give you an idea for how well ##T_4(x)## approximates ##\sin x##, and since ##T_3(x)=T_4(x)##, it also tells you how well ##T_3(x)## approximates ##\sin x##. So why find an upper bound for ##R_4(x)## instead of ##R_3(x)##? It's because you generally get a better, more stringent estimate for the upper bound by using the formula for higher-order remainder.

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function at a particular point by utilizing the derivatives of the function at that point.

What is the purpose of a Taylor Series?

The purpose of a Taylor Series is to provide a way to approximate a function at a specific point without having to explicitly calculate the function at that point. It allows for more efficient and accurate computations in various mathematical and scientific applications.

How is a Taylor Series calculated?

A Taylor Series is calculated by finding the derivatives of the function at a given point and plugging them into a specific formula. The resulting series can then be used to approximate the function at that point.

What are the applications of Taylor Series?

Taylor Series have many applications in mathematics and science, including in calculus, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate functions, calculate integrals and derivatives, and solve differential equations.

What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Maclaurin Series?

A Taylor Series is a generalization of the Maclaurin Series, which is a special case where the series is centered at 0. A Maclaurin Series is used when approximating a function near 0, while a Taylor Series can be used for any point within the function's domain.