1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series/Radius of Convergence - I just need a hint!

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    Consider the following:

[tex] f(x) = 1 + x + x^2 = 7 + 5 (x-2) + (x-2)^2 [/tex]

which is a Taylor series centered at 2. My question is: what is the radius of convergence? The answer in my book is [tex] R=\infty [/tex], but take a look at this:

[tex] f(x) = 7 + 5 (x-2) + (x-2)^2 = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} b_n (x-2)^n \Longrightarrow \left| x-2 \right| < 1 [/tex]

Then, I get

[tex] 1 \leq x \leq 3 \Longrightarrow R = \frac{3-1}{2}=1 \neq \infty [/tex]

In other words, I'm a bit confused!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your confusion is that the [itex]b_n[/itex] are ALL 0 for n > 2. There's nothing to test since the series is perfectly well defined for all x. You might try, for example, comparing the terms in your series with the terms in a series you know converges for all x such as [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex]. Clearly, for n > 2 each term of your series is smaller than the corresponding term in the latter expansion.

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like you tried to use the ratio test, but you can't because you need to find the limit of 0/0.

However, you can apply the n-th root test, which will, indeed, say that it converges for all x. (as it should because the function is a polynomial which exists for all x!)

5. Nov 11, 2004 #4
    It makes sense now.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?