1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series remainder

1. Dec 13, 2014 #1
    How is the Taylor remainder of a series (with given Taylor expansion) expressed if you want to make a calculation with known error? e.g. if I want to calculate π to, say, 12 decimal places using the previously-derived result π=4*arctan(1) and the Taylor series for arctan(x), how will I work out how many terms I need (or, imagine that number of decimal places is high enough that trial and error is not efficient)?

The problem is that equating the error (e.g. 5*10^(-13) in my example above) to the integral form of the remainder leaves us an expression that can be numerically (but certainly not analytically) solved, whereas I am looking for a method that works (even approximately) by hand and handheld calculator.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is always possible as you have to calculate every term individually.

You can find an analytic upper limit I think.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The remainder after expanding n terms of a Taylor series around point a is equal to ((x-a)n/n!)f(n)(x') for some x' in (a,x). So you can bound the error at x if you can bound the n'th derivative.

5. Dec 14, 2014 #4
    How would this work, for, e.g. my example of π=4*arctan(1)? It seems I would have to take the nth derivative of arctan(x) - which doesn't exactly suggest itself easily to me - even then, I'm not sure what would have to be done with the remaining 3 variables (x, x', n) to find an upper bound for n?

6. Dec 14, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes. It might give ugly expressions, but no one said calculating the 12th decimal digit that way was easy without a computer.
    x is where you want to evaluate the series (at 1), a the point your taylor series is based on (0), x' can be anything between 0 and 1, you have to find an upper bound that is valid in the whole range. n is just the derivative you have.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook