Calculating Taylor Series Remainder: Finding an Upper Bound for n

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of calculating the Taylor remainder of a series in order to make a calculation with a known error. The speaker mentions using the previously-derived result for π and the Taylor series for arctan(x) to approximate π to 12 decimal places, but struggles to determine the number of terms needed for an accurate calculation. The solution proposed involves bounding the error at a specific point by finding an analytic upper limit for the n'th derivative of arctan(x). However, this method may result in complex expressions and is not easily done by hand.
Astudious
How is the Taylor remainder of a series (with given Taylor expansion) expressed if you want to make a calculation with known error? e.g. if I want to calculate π to, say, 12 decimal places using the previously-derived result π=4*arctan(1) and the Taylor series for arctan(x), how will I work out how many terms I need (or, imagine that number of decimal places is high enough that trial and error is not efficient)?

The problem is that equating the error (e.g. 5*10^(-13) in my example above) to the integral form of the remainder leaves us an expression that can be numerically (but certainly not analytically) solved, whereas I am looking for a method that works (even approximately) by hand and handheld calculator.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Astudious said:
(or, imagine that number of decimal places is high enough that trial and error is not efficient)?
It is always possible as you have to calculate every term individually.

Astudious said:
The problem is that equating the error (e.g. 5*10^(-13) in my example above) to the integral form of the remainder leaves us an expression that can be numerically (but certainly not analytically) solved
You can find an analytic upper limit I think.

The remainder after expanding n terms of a Taylor series around point a is equal to ((x-a)n/n!)f(n)(x') for some x' in (a,x). So you can bound the error at x if you can bound the n'th derivative.

FactChecker said:
The remainder after expanding n terms of a Taylor series around point a is equal to ((x-a)n/n!)f(n)(x') for some x' in (a,x). So you can bound the error at x if you can bound the n'th derivative.

How would this work, for, e.g. my example of π=4*arctan(1)? It seems I would have to take the nth derivative of arctan(x) - which doesn't exactly suggest itself easily to me - even then, I'm not sure what would have to be done with the remaining 3 variables (x, x', n) to find an upper bound for n?

Astudious said:
It seems I would have to take the nth derivative of arctan(x)
Yes. It might give ugly expressions, but no one said calculating the 12th decimal digit that way was easy without a computer.
Astudious said:
even then, I'm not sure what would have to be done with the remaining 3 variables (x, x', n) to find an upper bound for n?
x is where you want to evaluate the series (at 1), a the point your taylor series is based on (0), x' can be anything between 0 and 1, you have to find an upper bound that is valid in the whole range. n is just the derivative you have.

Last edited:

Q: What is a Taylor series remainder?

A: A Taylor series remainder is the difference between the actual value of a function and the value calculated using a truncated Taylor series.

Q: How is the remainder in a Taylor series calculated?

A: The remainder in a Taylor series is calculated using the Lagrange form of the remainder theorem, which takes into account the value of the function's higher-order derivatives at a specific point.

Q: Why is the remainder in a Taylor series important?

A: The remainder in a Taylor series allows us to estimate the error in using a truncated series to approximate a function, and helps us determine how many terms are needed for a desired level of accuracy.

Q: Can the remainder in a Taylor series ever be zero?

A: Yes, the remainder in a Taylor series can be zero if the function is an infinitely differentiable function and the series is expanded around a point where the function and all of its derivatives are equal to zero.

Q: How can the remainder in a Taylor series be used to find a function's value?

A: The remainder in a Taylor series can be used to find a function's value by adding the value of the truncated series to the remainder, which gives a more accurate approximation of the function's value at a specific point.