1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series Rewriting

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I understand the whole concept of Taylor Series and Maclaurin series but I don't know how to rewrite them in sigma notation.

I'll use this generic example. Find the Maclaurin series of the function [tex]\ f(x)=e^{x}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\ e^{x}+\frac{1}{1!}(x-0)+\frac{1}{2!}(x-0)^{2}+\frac{1}{3!}(x-0)^{3}\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

I know the answer is [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/tex] but I don't know how to get it from the expanded form.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're missing the first term. What you have above should be
    [tex]\ e^{x} = \frac{1}{0!}(x - 0)^0 + \frac{1}{1!}(x-0)+\frac{1}{2!}(x-0)^{2}+\frac{1}{3!}(x-0)^{3} + \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

When simplified, the expression on the right is
    [tex]\ e^{x} = \frac{1}{0!}x^0 + \frac{1}{1!}x+\frac{1}{2!}x^{2}+\frac{1}{3!}x^{3}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

What will be the general term in the sum above? Do you notice anything that's common to each of the terms above?

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    I noticed that there should be an [tex]x^{n}[/tex] in there and there should be an n!. I guess I need to use a slightly more complicated example. How about sin(x)
    The expanded form is (after the 0s are dropped out) [tex]sin(x)+\frac{1}{1!}x-\frac{1}{3!}x^{3}+\frac{1}{5!}x^{5}-\frac{1}{7!}x^{7}+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex].

I'll try and get an answer for this one now since I don't know the answer.

[tex]sin(x)+\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex] I know that that can't possibly be correct but that's my attempt.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

Mark44

You're making the same mistake you made earlier. The Maclaurin series for sin(x) should not start off with sin(x) + ... What you should be saying is that sin(x) = <the series>.

Other than that, your summation is exactly right. Here's what you have with the correction.
    [tex]sin(x) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5

7. Feb 15, 2010 #6

Mark44

What you're doing with Taylor's series (and in this case Maclaurin series) is writing a function f(x) as a power series. For a Maclaurin series,

[tex]f(x) = f(0) + \frac{f'(0)x}{1!} + \frac{f''(0)x^2}{2!} + \frac{f'''(0)x^3}{3!} + ... + \frac{f^{(n)}(0)x^n}{n!} + ...[/tex]

8. Feb 16, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As Mark44 told you, this should be
    [tex]sin(x)= \frac{1}{1!}x^2- \frac{1}{3!}x^3+ \frac{1}{5!}x^5- \frac{1}{7!}x^7+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

The first thing I would not is that the powers of x are all odd. You can write any even number as "2n" and any odd number as "2n+1", so I would try "2n+1" as as the powers and not that if n=0, 2n+1= 1, if n= 1, 2n+1= 2+ 1= 3, etc.

I would then notice that the signs alternate and think of (-1) to some power. That will alternate + and - for even and odd powers. In some cases, you might need to experiment with [itex](-1)^n[/itex] or [itex](-1)^{n+1}[/itex] to get the right parity but here I see that the first term corresponds to n= 0 and (-1)0= 1 is the right sign: I want (-1)n.

Finally, I see that the denominator is the factorial of the power- since I am writing the powers as "2n+1" I want to do the same in the denominators- each term is of the form
    [tex]\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}x^{2n+1}[/tex]
    and the sum is
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}x^{2n+1}[/tex]

I'll try and get an answer for this one now since I don't know the answer.

[tex]sin(x)+\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex] I know that that can't possibly be correct but that's my attempt.[/QUOTE]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook