1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series strategy

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    I am trying to find the maclaurin series for f(x) = (1 + x)^(-3)

--> what is the best way of doing this--to make a table and look for a trend in f^(n)?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

.....well you can do that but you will just find that is just a binomial series.

do you know the nth term in a binomial expansion?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Presumably you know the expansion of 1/(1+x) (hint: think geometric series). So what's the second derivative of 1/(1+x), and how does this help? This should give you another way of finding the expansion of (1+x)^(-3).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. Dec 13, 2007 #4
    NO!!! NO!! NO!! there should be no binomals involved. Is there a simpler way? the way we usually do this is by making a table.

If someone can shed some light, I would appreciate it.

6. Dec 13, 2007 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well you will have to find f(0),f'(0),f'''(0) and so forth for the traditional method for finding the maclaurin series for that function. But I believe that you should make the table and then make the series if that is the way you know how to do it

7. Dec 13, 2007 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Read my post...

8. Dec 14, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can, in fact, extend the binomial theorem to fractional or negative exponents. Morphism suggested an even easier way. You'[ve already been given two very good ways of finding the series. Why don't you appreciate them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?