Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Taylor series strategy

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    I am trying to find the maclaurin series for f(x) = (1 + x)^(-3)

--> what is the best way of doing this--to make a table and look for a trend in f^(n)?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

.....well you can do that but you will just find that is just a binomial series.

do you know the nth term in a binomial expansion?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Presumably you know the expansion of 1/(1+x) (hint: think geometric series). So what's the second derivative of 1/(1+x), and how does this help? This should give you another way of finding the expansion of (1+x)^(-3).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. Dec 13, 2007 #4
    NO!!! NO!! NO!! there should be no binomals involved. Is there a simpler way? the way we usually do this is by making a table.

If someone can shed some light, I would appreciate it.

6. Dec 13, 2007 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well you will have to find f(0),f'(0),f'''(0) and so forth for the traditional method for finding the maclaurin series for that function. But I believe that you should make the table and then make the series if that is the way you know how to do it

7. Dec 13, 2007 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Read my post...

8. Dec 14, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You can, in fact, extend the binomial theorem to fractional or negative exponents. Morphism suggested an even easier way. You'[ve already been given two very good ways of finding the series. Why don't you appreciate them?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook