Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series with partial derivatives

1. Feb 28, 2004 #1
    We were gievn a question in tutorial last week asking us to calculate the Taylor series of the function f(x,y) = e^(x^(2) + y^(2)) to second order in h and k about the point x=0, y=0

I've got the forumla here with all the h's and k's in it and have it written down, but it's actually how to work it out that's confusing me.

f(a,b) + 1/1! (hd/dx + kd/dy)f(a'b) etc....

My confusion is do you multiply out the brackets so you'd have-

f(a,b) + 1/1! (hdf(a,b)/dx + kdf(a,b)/dy)

So you do the derivatives and then sub in the values of x and y

Or, do you leave it as it is the first tiem I wrote it and end up with-

1+ (hd/dx + kd/dx) +0.5(hd/dx + kd/dy)^2 etc

I know there are more terms but I've so much trouble typing out mathematical terms on this computer! I know this is v.obvious etc but I just want to get this clear in my head cos I have a test this Wednesday at uni and I want to go in with a fighting chance! :smile: Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your first statement is correct. I'm not sure I see what you've done in the second.

(hd/dx +kd/dy) is an operator that acts on f, you then evaluate it at (0,0) in this case.

the generic term of degree n in the expansion about (0,0) is

[tex]\frac{1}{n!}\sum_{r=0}^n \binom{n}{r}h^rk^{n-r}\frac{\partial^nf}{\partial x^r \partial y^{n-r}}[/tex] with the function understood to be evaluated at (0,0)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  4. Feb 29, 2004 #3
    Thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?