1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series with Remainder

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the 3rd-order Maclaurin Polynomial (i.e. P3,o(u)) for the function f(u) = sin u, together with an upper bound on the magnitude of the associated error (as a function of u), if this is to be used as an approximation to f on the interval [0,2].

I did the question fine except for the upper bound error.

2. Relevant equations

|Rn,o(u)| <= (k|u|^4)/(4!)

Where 0 <= sin(u) <= 2, and |sin(u)| <= k

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, since 0 <= sin(u) <= 2 and |sin(u)| <= k, shouldn't k = sin(2)? The actual answer is k = 1, but if sin(u) is bounded between 0 and 2, it can't have a value greater than sin(2) so saying that it's max is 1 (at sin(pi/2) is an overestimation for this particular problem by my thought process.

Any enlightening comments as to why it's 1 and not sin(2)? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The interval is [0,2] for values of u. So [itex]0\leq u \leq 2[/itex]. What is the maximum value of sin u on that interval?

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    Right, pi/2 = 1.57 which is less than 2.

Okay then the max value is 1. But if u was bounded between zero and 1 then the max value would be sin1 right?

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes, because sin u is a strictly increasing function over that interval.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?