1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Copied verbatim from the worksheet:

At time t=1 a particle's position was 3(m), its velocity was -1(m/s), its acceleration was 3(m/s2), and it's jerk (rate of acceleration) was -2(m/s3). Use all the information given to estimate the particle's position one second later (at time t=2). Use a series method to solve this problem. (Hint: Think Taylor's series).

2. Relevant equations
    Taylor's Series

3. The attempt at a solution
    f(1)=3
    f'(1)=-1
    f''(1)=3
    f'''(1)=-2

Since I'm given four derivatives at t=1, I figure I can make a Taylor series of degree 3 centered at t=1. Using the formula for Taylor series, I get:

[tex]\frac{3(t-1)^{0}}{0!}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{(t-1)^{1}}{1!}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{3(t-1)^{2}}{2!}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{2(t-1)^{3}}{3!}[/tex]. Provided that I understand everything properly, this should be an approximation for the particle's position. So, letting t=2, I should get (3)-(2)+([tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex])-([tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex])=([tex]\frac{13}{6}[/tex])

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks ok to me. What makes you think there is something wrong? What's your question?

4. Aug 11, 2008 #3
    It's for someone that I'm tutoring, and I have never done a question like that, so I'm trying to be extra careful. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?