Taylor Series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0

In summary, the Taylor series for the function f(x) = (\pi -x)^-2 around a = 0 is given by \pi^-2 + 2(\pi^-3)(x) + 3(\pi^-4)(x^2) +...+ [n(\pi^-n-1)(x^(n-1))]/(n-1)! + ... where n represents the nth derivative of the function evaluated at a. This series can be used to approximate the function and its derivatives at any point near a.
olyviab

Homework Statement

Write the Taylor series of the function f(x) = ([tex]\pi[/tex] -x)^-2 around a = 0

Homework Equations

([tex]\pi[/tex] - x)^-2 = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + [f''(a)(x-a)^2]/(2!) +...+ [f^n(a)(x-a)^n]/(n!)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what i have and i am not sure i am showing it correctly or compleatly.

f(x) = ([tex]\pi[/tex] -x)^-2
f'(x) = 2([tex]\pi[/tex] - x)^-3
f''(x) = 6([tex]\pi[/tex] - x)^-4
f'''(x) = 24([tex]\pi[/tex] - x)^-5

([tex]\pi[/tex] - x)^-2 = f(a) + [f'(a)(x-a)^2]/(2!) +...+ [f^n(a)(x-a)^n]/(n!)

= ([tex]\pi[/tex]-0)^-2 + [(2([tex]\pi[/tex]-0)^-3)(x-0)^2]/(2!) + [(6([tex]\pi[/tex]-0)^-4)(x-0)^3]/(3!) + ...

= [tex]\pi[/tex]^-2 + 2([tex]\pi[/tex]^-3)x +[6([tex]\pi[/tex]^-4)(x^2)]/(2!) + [24([tex]\pi[/tex]^-5)(x^3)]/(3!) + ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have written the series wrong: where is the f(a) term? And why isn't the f'(a) term multiplied by (x-a)? Your derivatives are correct, now you just need to substitute into the (correct) series that you wrote in the "relevant equations" section...

mrbohn1 said:
You seem to have written the series wrong: where is the f(a) term? And why isn't the f'(a) term multiplied by (x-a)? Your derivatives are correct, now you just need to substitute into the (correct) series that you wrote in the "relevant equations" section...

I looked over my work again and found where i messed up, thanks.
the final answer i get is:

([tex]\pi[/tex]-x)^-2 = [tex]\pi[/tex]^-2 + 2([tex]\pi[/tex]^-3)(x) + 3([tex]\pi[/tex]^-4)(x^2) +...

1. What is the Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0?

The Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0 is given by:
1 + (\pi - x)^2 + 2(\pi - x)^4 + 9(\pi - x)^6 + 64(\pi - x)^8 + ...

2. What is the formula for calculating the coefficients in the Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0?

The formula for calculating the coefficients in the Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0 is:
cn = \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!} where f(x) = (\pi - x)^-2 and a = 0.

3. What is the convergence interval of the Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0?

The convergence interval of the Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0 is (-\pi, \pi).

4. What is the significance of the Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0 in mathematics?

The Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0 is significant in mathematics because it allows us to approximate the value of the function (\pi - x)^-2 at any point within the convergence interval. This is useful in solving various problems in calculus and differential equations.

5. How can the Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0 be used in real-life applications?

The Taylor series of (\pi - x)^-2 around a = 0 can be used in real-life applications such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to approximate functions that are difficult to evaluate, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving.