1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the taylor series for the function

f(x) = [tex]\frac{x^2+1}{4x+5}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

how to do this?

1st attempt.

i did turn it this term
    [tex]\frac{x}{4}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{-5x+4}{16x+20}[/tex] can i turn this to taylor series?

maybe i know how to make [tex]\frac{-5x+4}{16x+20}[/tex] to taylor but
    [tex]\frac{x}{4}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{-5x+4}{16x+20}[/tex]??

2nd attempt.

should i differentiate it until i get fn(x) form??

what to do what to do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

If you can partition your function into two functions like f(x) = f1(x) + f2(x) and you have the Taylor series for both f1 and f2 then the sum of these is the Taylor series for f.

You can also differentiate f directly and look for a pattern that will allow you to write the series as

[tex]f(x) = f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0) + \sum_{i=2}^{\infty}{g_i(x_0) (x-x_0)^i} [/tex]

where gi is a fairly simple function having parameter i.
  4. Apr 28, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

Certainly, the basic definition of "Taylor series" is just what Filip Larsen says, but you can also do what you were trying- you just stopped too soon. Since
    [tex]\frac{-5x+ 4}{16x+ 20}[/tex]
    has the same order in numerator and denominator you could also divide that. In fact,
    [tex]\frac{x^2+ 1}{4x+ 5}= \frac{x}{4}- \frac{5}{16}+ \frac{11}{16}\frac{1}{4x+ 5}[/tex]

Now, what you can do is write that last fraction as
    [tex]\frac{1}{5- (-4x)}= \frac{1}{5}\left(\frac{1}{1- \frac{-4x}{5}}\right)}[/tex]

Recall that the sum of a geometric series is given by
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}[/tex]
    so that can be written as a power series in
  5. Apr 28, 2010 #4

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Neat. I guess that would "correspond" to Taylor series evolved around x0 = 0 and with -1 < x < 1. Is is possible to make something equally neat for x outside this range, or are you then "stuck" with the general Taylor series?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook