Finding Taylor Series for f(x) = $\frac{x^2+1}{4x+5}$

In summary, a first attempt was made to find the Taylor series for the function f(x) = \frac{x^2+1}{4x+5} and it was determined that the function can be written as
annoymage

Homework Statement

find the taylor series for the function

f(x) = [tex]\frac{x^2+1}{4x+5}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

how to do this?

1st attempt.

i did turn it this term
[tex]\frac{x}{4}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{-5x+4}{16x+20}[/tex] can i turn this to taylor series?

maybe i know how to make [tex]\frac{-5x+4}{16x+20}[/tex] to taylor but
[tex]\frac{x}{4}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{-5x+4}{16x+20}[/tex]??2nd attempt.

should i differentiate it until i get fn(x) form??

what to do what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can partition your function into two functions like f(x) = f1(x) + f2(x) and you have the Taylor series for both f1 and f2 then the sum of these is the Taylor series for f.

You can also differentiate f directly and look for a pattern that will allow you to write the series as

[tex]f(x) = f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0) + \sum_{i=2}^{\infty}{g_i(x_0) (x-x_0)^i} [/tex]

where gi is a fairly simple function having parameter i.

Certainly, the basic definition of "Taylor series" is just what Filip Larsen says, but you can also do what you were trying- you just stopped too soon. Since
[tex]\frac{-5x+ 4}{16x+ 20}[/tex]
has the same order in numerator and denominator you could also divide that. In fact,
[tex]\frac{x^2+ 1}{4x+ 5}= \frac{x}{4}- \frac{5}{16}+ \frac{11}{16}\frac{1}{4x+ 5}[/tex]

Now, what you can do is write that last fraction as
[tex]\frac{1}{5- (-4x)}= \frac{1}{5}\left(\frac{1}{1- \frac{-4x}{5}}\right)}[/tex]

Recall that the sum of a geometric series is given by
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}[/tex]
so that can be written as a power series in
[tex]\frac{-4x}{5}[/tex]

Neat. I guess that would "correspond" to Taylor series evolved around x0 = 0 and with -1 < x < 1. Is is possible to make something equally neat for x outside this range, or are you then "stuck" with the general Taylor series?

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function using an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function at a specific point by using the function's derivatives at that point.

2. How do you find the Taylor series for a given function?

To find the Taylor series for a function, you need to take the derivatives of the function at a specific point and use those derivatives to create the terms of the series. The more terms you use, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the function f(x) = $\frac{x^2+1}{4x+5}$?

The function f(x) = $\frac{x^2+1}{4x+5}$ is a rational function, which means it is a fraction of two polynomials. In this case, the numerator is a quadratic polynomial and the denominator is a linear polynomial.

4. Why is it important to find the Taylor series for a function?

Finding the Taylor series for a function allows us to approximate the value of the function at a specific point, even if the function is difficult to evaluate directly. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can the Taylor series for a function converge to the original function?

Yes, the Taylor series for a function can converge to the original function under certain conditions. This is known as Taylor's theorem, which states that if a function is infinitely differentiable at a point, then its Taylor series will converge to the function at that point.