A 16-Year-Old Asks: How Can I Apply Taylor Series to Delta-F?

In summary, a 16-year-old is wondering how they can utilize Taylor series in relation to the concept of delta-F. Taylor series is a mathematical tool used to approximate functions by expressing them as a sum of infinite terms. In the context of delta-F, it can be applied to approximate the change in a function at a specific point. This allows for better understanding and analysis of the behavior of the function. By using Taylor series, the 16-year-old can gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between delta-F and the function.
richardlhp
Hi! I am a 16 year old trying to figure out the application of taylor series. I understand most of its uses when applied to functions like e^x, sinx, cosx, but in a mechanics book, i am required to find delta-F, a finite change in a function F. Ostensibly, this appears to be a step that needs the application of taylor series, so can anyone help me to explain slowly and clearly how taylor series can be applied to delta-F? (sorry i do not know how to use symbols and stuff)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f(x) = f(a) + \frac{f'(a)}{1!}(x-a) + \frac{f''(a)}{2!}(x-a)^2+...[/tex]

If you lop off the higher order terms you have the approximation

[tex]f(x) \doteq f(a) + \frac{f'(a)}{1!}(x-a)[/tex]

or

[tex]f(x) - f(a) \doteq f'(a)(x-a)[/tex]

If x = b you have

[tex]f(b) - f(a) \doteq f'(a)(b-a)[/tex]

In the delta-y notation you might write this as

[tex]\Delta y \doteq f'(x)\Delta x[/tex]

Is that what you are getting at?

Yeah! Thanks a lot. Hence for a more accurate value, one can keep the higher order terms?

richardlhp said:
Yeah! Thanks a lot. Hence for a more accurate value, one can keep the higher order terms?

Yes, exactly, as long x is within the radius of convergence from a. Many functions have good approximation with just a few terms for x near a but not every function's Taylor series converges to it.

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives at a specific point. It is used to approximate a function and can be used to find values of the function at points near the given point.

2. How can I apply Taylor series to Delta-F?

To apply Taylor series to Delta-F, you would need to have a function representing Delta-F and the point at which you want to approximate the function. Then, you can use the Taylor series formula to find the value of Delta-F at the given point.

3. What is the formula for Taylor series?

The formula for Taylor series is: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... + f^n(a)(x-a)^n/n!, where f(a) is the function evaluated at the point a and f^(n)(a) represents the nth derivative of f at a.

4. Can Taylor series be used for any function?

Technically, yes. However, in practice, Taylor series is mostly used for polynomials and some special functions that can be written as infinite sums. It may not be practical or accurate to use Taylor series for more complex functions.

5. How can I determine the accuracy of a Taylor series approximation?

The accuracy of a Taylor series approximation can be determined by using the remainder term in the formula. The remainder term provides an upper bound for the error in the approximation. As you include more terms in the series, the approximation becomes more accurate.