1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series

1. Sep 1, 2005 #1
    Hi ,
    I have some difficulties to solve this problem. It is from my numerical methods class but the problem is about taylor series:

It is known that for 4 < x < 6, the absolute value of the m-th derivative of a certain function f(x) is bounded by m times the absolute value of the quadratic 11x-28-x2. That is, |f(x)(m)| < m|11x - 28 - x2| for m > 0. How many terms would be required in the Taylor series for f about x = 4.5 to evaluate f(5.8) accurate to 7 decimals?

Please, I need some sugestions. I am not sure if i need to use the remainder formula to find it.

Please somebody help me!

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you should use the remainder theorem. You would find the remainder after n terms for the Taylor's series in terms of (x- 4.5)n. Of course, here x- 4.5= 5.8- 4.5= 1.3. For what n is the remainder less than 0.0000001?

What is the maximum possible value of |11x- 28- x2| for 4< x< 6?
  4. Sep 4, 2005 #3
    thank I think i get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?