Taylor Expansion Homework: Find First 3 Terms for (1+2x)^-1/4 & sin(x^2)/x

• Thread starter Gwilim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
Yes, you are correct. In this case, since the second derivative of f(x) is 0, you would need to differentiate again to get the third term for the Taylor expansion at x = 0. However, as you mentioned, the amount of work for the marks may not be worth it. In this case, you could mention that the third derivative is also 0 and leave it at that.
Gwilim

Homework Statement

Find the first three non-zero terms of the Taylor expansion about zero in each of the following cases:
a) (1+2x)^-1/4
b) sin(x^2)/x

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't even know where to begin. I've only just read about what Talyors expansion is, and I don't know what's meant by 'about zero'. If someone could show me some answers and the steps they took to arrive at them though, I'm sure I would learn a lot from it.

Physics news on Phys.org
A power series is of the form
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (x- a)^n[/tex]
and the sum is "about a". In particular, a sum "about 0" is of the form
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n[/itex]

The Taylor's series of f(x), about a, is given by
[tex]\sum_{n= 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!} \frac{d^n f(a)}{dx^n} (x- a)^n[/tex]
so your problem is really just finding the first three non-zero derivatives at x= 0.

The Taylor's series "about 0" is also called the "McLaurin series".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Mind checking my answers and 'tidying them up' to fit the question?
a) f(x) = (1+2x)^-1/4
by the chain rule
f'(x) = -1/2(1+2x)^-5/4
f''(x) = 5/4(1+2x)^-9/4
f(0) = 1
f'(0) = -1/2
f''(0) = 5/4
b)
f(x) = sin(x^2)/x
by the chain rule and the product rule
f'(x) = 2cos(x^2) - f(x)
f''(x) = -4xsin(x^2) - f'(x)
f(0) = ... wait I've been doing this wrong haven't I? f(0) doesn't exist. lol

While I'm waiting for a reply, more practice differentiating (I'm very rusty), these questions from a different years past paper:

Homework Statement

Find the first three non-zero terms of the Taylor expansion about zero in each of the following cases:
a) (1+x^2)^1/2
b) sin(2x)/x

2. The attempt at a solution

a)
f(x) = (1+x^2)^1/2
f'(x) = x(1+x^2)^-1/2
f''(x) = f'(x) - x^2(1+x^2)^-3/2

b)
f(x) = sin(2x)/x
f'(x) = 2cos(2x)/x - sin(2x)/x^2
f''(x) = -4sin(2x)/x - 4cos(2x)/x^2 - sin(2x)/x^3

You're right for the first part. Just substitute the terms into the formulae given and you're done. Turns out that f(0) isn't defined for b), and neither does f'(0) and f''(0).

so what answer would I give for question b) in the exam? Would they still expect me to differentiate the expression twice for any marks though, even though a cursory glance shows that f(0) is not defined? Additionally, in a) of the second set of questions I posted, if I have differentiated correctly f'(0)=0 and f''(0)=0, so these are not non-zero terms in the Taylor expansion. Am I correct in assuming that further derivatives will also give 0 when x=0, and if so what answer would I give for this question?

Last edited:
Gwilim said:
Thanks! Mind checking my answers and 'tidying them up' to fit the question?
Please note that I have edited my first response (so I can pretend never to have made such a silly mistake!). I have added the "1/n!" term.

a) f(x) = (1+2x)^-1/4
by the chain rule
f'(x) = -1/2(1+2x)^-5/4
f''(x) = 5/4(1+2x)^-9/4
f(0) = 1
f'(0) = -1/2
f''(0) = 5/4
So the first 3 terms of the "Taylor's series about 0" are 1, (-1/2) x, and (5/4)(1/2!)x^2= (5/8)x^2. The "quadratic Taylor's polynomial about 0" is 1- (1/2)x+ (5/8)x^2.

b)
f(x) = sin(x^2)/x
by the chain rule and the product rule
f'(x) = 2cos(x^2) - f(x)
If you use the product rule then you need to write the function as f(x)= sin(x^2)x^(-1) and f'(x)= (2x)(cos(x^2)(x^-1)- x^(-2)sin(x^2)= 2cos(x^2)- sin(x^2)/x^2.
Of course, you could also use the quotient rule: f'(x)= [(2x)cos(x^2)(x)- (1)sin(x^2)]/x^2= 2cos(x^2)- sin(x^2)/x^2 again.

f''(x) = -4xsin(x^2) - f'(x)
f(0) = ... wait I've been doing this wrong haven't I? f(0) doesn't exist. lol
No, f(0) doesn't exist but its limit does. It has a "removable discontinuity" at x= 0 since sin(x^2)/x = (x)(sin(x^2)/x^2)-> (0)(1)= 0. The function defined by f(x)= sin(x^2)/x if x is not 0, 0 if x= 0. For that function, f(0)= 0, f'(0)= 1. You will need to recalculate f" since your f' is wrong.

Thanks again for the help, and for pointing out the error in differentiating b).

HallsofIvy said:
No, f(0) doesn't exist but its limit does. It has a "removable discontinuity" at x= 0 since sin(x^2)/x = (x)(sin(x^2)/x^2)-> (0)(1)= 0. The function defined by f(x)= sin(x^2)/x if x is not 0, 0 if x= 0. For that function, f(0)= 0, f'(0)= 1. You will need to recalculate f" since your f' is wrong.

Let me see if I understand this. f(x) is very small for very small values of x, or as x tends to 0, f(x) tends to 0. So we take f(0)= 0 for the purposes of providing an answer.

Making corrections:
f'(x) = 2cos(x^2) - sin(x^2)/x^2
f''(x) = -4sin(x^2) + 2sin(x^2)/x^3 - 2cos(x^2)/x
f'(0) = 1 (assuming sin(x^2)/x^2 can be said to be equal to 1 when x = 0)
f''(0) = oh no... the sin term thankfully goes to 0, but the other two terms tend to infinity? and are of opposite signs? I'm just going to guess this is equal to 0.

since f(0) = 0 and f''(0) probably equals 0, I have to differentiate again to get the second term? And assuming the third derivative also tends to zero I'll have to differentiate again to get the third term. That seems like a lot of work for the amount of marks the question is worth.

Last edited:

1. What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a series of polynomial terms. It allows us to express a complicated function as a simpler polynomial, making it easier to work with and calculate values at specific points.

2. How do you find the first three terms for (1+2x)^-1/4?

To find the first three terms for (1+2x)^-1/4, we can use the general formula for a Taylor series:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ...
In this case, a = 0 and f(x) = (1+2x)^-1/4. We can then find the first three derivatives of f(x) and plug them into the formula to get:
(1+2x)^-1/4 = 1 - x/4 + 3x^2/32 + ...

3. Can you explain how to find the first three terms for sin(x^2)/x?

To find the first three terms for sin(x^2)/x, we can again use the general formula for a Taylor series:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ...
In this case, a = 0 and f(x) = sin(x^2)/x. We can then find the first three derivatives of f(x) and plug them into the formula to get:
sin(x^2)/x = 1 + x^2/3! + x^4/5! + ...

4. Why is it important to find the first three terms for a Taylor expansion?

Finding the first three terms for a Taylor expansion allows us to approximate a function with a simpler polynomial. This can be useful for solving complex problems or for making calculations easier. It also allows us to find a numerical approximation for a function at a specific point, which can be helpful in a variety of scientific and mathematical applications.

5. Can the Taylor expansion be used for any function?

No, the Taylor expansion can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable (meaning that they have an infinite number of derivatives). Additionally, the function must be defined at the point where the expansion is being calculated. If these criteria are met, then the Taylor expansion can be used to approximate the function.