1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylors polynomials

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an approximated value for [tex]\sqrt[ ]{9.03}[/tex] using a Taylors polynomial of third degree and estimate the error.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought of solving it by using

[tex]f(x)=\sqrt[]{x}[/tex] centered at [tex]x_0=9[/tex]

Then I evaluated it at x=9.03, so I get:

I don't know if this is right, I've tried with the calculator and it gives 3.00500.... Now, how do I estimate the error? just by resting to the value the calculator gives the one I get?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

9.03-9 = 0.03, not 0.3. :)
  4. Aug 11, 2010 #3
    ****, thanks haha
  5. Aug 11, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

For the error estimate, there's a formula for the error in approximating a Taylor series by the first n terms (terms up through degree n). If my memory is correct, it looks something like this.

[tex]R_n(x)= \frac{f^{n + 1}(c)}{(n + 1)!}(x - a)^{n + 1}[/tex]

Since it is usually impossible to determine c (which is between x and a), in practice, one finds an upper bound on |f(n+1)(x)|.
  6. Aug 12, 2010 #5
    Thank you Mark. I think I get it.

Here it is:

[tex]R_{n+1}(x)=\displaystyle\frac{-15(x-9)^4}{4!16\sqrt[ ]{\alpha}}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha=9+0.03\theta[/tex], [tex]\theta\in{(0,1)}[/tex]
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  7. Aug 12, 2010 #6
    I could be wrong, but shouldn't this be an inequality? That's how I remember it.
  8. Aug 12, 2010 #7

No, it shouldn't be an inequality. Checking with a calculus text, the formula for the remainder is correct.
  9. Aug 12, 2010 #8
    It can be thought as inequality like this:

[tex]|R_n(x)|= |\frac{f^{n + 1}(c)}{(n + 1)!}(x - a)^{n + 1}|\leq{}\displaystyle\frac{(x-a)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} k[/tex]
    Where [tex]k=max{f(b) \textsf{ such that b} \in{[x,a]}[/tex]
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. Aug 12, 2010 #9

The remainder is an equality. Usually it suffices to get an upper bound on that derivative - then you have an inequality.
  11. Aug 12, 2010 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The various forms of the Taylor remainder are generalizations of the mean value theorem to higher derivatives and higher degree polynomials -- the remainder is exactly equal to the given expression for some point c in a known interval.

Typical practical applications find the maximum over the entire interval, and then use that as an upper bound on the true remainder.
  12. Aug 12, 2010 #11
    Thank you both, Mark and Hurkyl for clearing things up!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook