1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor's Theorem

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    I find the idea behind this theorem is somewhat difficult to grasp.

Anyhow, there is a related problem in Rudin that I can't figure out.

So let f be continuously differentiable n-1 times on [a,b] where the nth derivative exists on (a,b). z and a are two distinct points of the interval. Put

Q(t)=(f(t)-f(z))/(t-z)

Let P(t) be the (n-1)th degree taylor polynomial of f about a. Show that

f(z)=P(z) + [Q^(n-1)(a)(z-a)^n]/(n-1)!

I've tried expanding this every way I can think of but am not getting the result. I can't even see why it's true.

My 2nd question regards analyticity vs. C^infinity. So e^(-1/x) and 0 at 0 shows these aren't the same concepts. What does it mean to say that r(h) (the remainder function) goes to zero faster than h does ie what does r(h)/h goes to zero as h goes to zero show/mean?

Taylor's theorem was not emphasised in my singe variable analysis class and we took it as given in my complex analysis class - so it's relatively new to me and I don't have an intuitive understanding of the concept.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

as i recall its just integration by parts.

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    can you be more specific?

if you are talking about the proof, then although that may help there has to be a more elementary method because integration has not been defined as yet.

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you asked for an intuitive understanidng. i am givinmg one.

f(b) -f(a) = integral of f' from a to b.

so f(b) = f(a) + integral of f' from a to b. now integrate by parts, with u = f'(x), and dv = -(b-x)dx.......

this gives the [preferred] integral form of the remainder.

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a weaker version, apparently the one you want, gives the remainder as a corollary of the mean valkue theorem./

choose a constant K such that f(b) = Pn(b) + K(b-a)^(n+1), where Pn is the nth taylor, polynomial for f.

The idea is to compute K. since the function f(x) - Pn(x) - K(x-a)^(n+1) has all derivatives at a equal to zero up to order n, and equals zero also at b, applying the rolle theorem n+1 times, gives a point c between a and b where this function has n+1st derivative equal to zero.

i.e. since the n+1st derivative of Pn is dead zero, this says that f^(n+1)(c) = K(n+1)!. dividing we have "computed" K = f^(n+1)(c)/(n+1)! as desired.

this is not as precise as the integral form given above since the point c is unknown.

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6
    yes the theorem with that remainder is the proof given in Rudin, but i'm supposed to find another version of the remainder.

Q^(n-1)(a)(z-a)^n]/(n-1)!

where Q(t)=(f(t)-f(z))/(t-z) and a IS known.

8. Oct 29, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

is it true for n=1? n=2?....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?