Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TE Mode for Waveguides

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1
    So we just went over waveguides in my class, in particular the TE and TEM modes (for a perfect conductor with two infinite planes for waveguides). I know that according to boundary conditions (assuming perfect conductor), the transverse electric field components must be zero at the boundary. This means that for a linearly polarized wave, the wave vector must be at an angle for TE mode. My question is: what exactly happens when a linearly polarized wave enters parallel to the waveguide with the electric field polarized parallel to the waveguide as well? Does the wave simply not enter the waveguide? Does the wave change direction? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

For a perfect conductor, the wave scatters and doesn't enter guide.
    For a good conductor, some of the wave enters but is rapidly attenuated, and most of the wave is scattered.

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3
    How can a linearly polarized plane wave with the Poynting vector parallel to the waveguide enter the wavegiude and have its electric vector also parallel to the waveguide. What wavelength is it? What size waveguide?

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4
    thanks, that clears it up. I figured that's what would happen, but I wasn't sure.

To other poster: The poynting vector can be pointing in say the z direction and have the electric vector pointing in -x direction (magnetic field in -y direction). Then if the waveguide (two parallel planes) was in the x-z plane, they would both be parallel to it. I don't think frequency of the incoming wave matters much in what I'm asking either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook