Understanding TE Mode in Waveguides: Effects of Linear Polarization

In summary, the conversation discusses TE and TEM modes in waveguides and the behavior of linearly polarized waves entering the guide. It is explained that for a perfect conductor, the wave is scattered and does not enter the guide, while for a good conductor, some of the wave enters but is rapidly attenuated. The question is also posed about the behavior of a wave with the Poynting vector and electric vector both parallel to the waveguide. The poster clarifies that the frequency of the wave does not matter in this scenario.
radonballoon
So we just went over waveguides in my class, in particular the TE and TEM modes (for a perfect conductor with two infinite planes for waveguides). I know that according to boundary conditions (assuming perfect conductor), the transverse electric field components must be zero at the boundary. This means that for a linearly polarized wave, the wave vector must be at an angle for TE mode. My question is: what exactly happens when a linearly polarized wave enters parallel to the waveguide with the electric field polarized parallel to the waveguide as well? Does the wave simply not enter the waveguide? Does the wave change direction? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For a perfect conductor, the wave scatters and doesn't enter guide.
For a good conductor, some of the wave enters but is rapidly attenuated, and most of the wave is scattered.

How can a linearly polarized plane wave with the Poynting vector parallel to the waveguide enter the wavegiude and have its electric vector also parallel to the waveguide. What wavelength is it? What size waveguide?

thanks, that clears it up. I figured that's what would happen, but I wasn't sure.

To other poster: The poynting vector can be pointing in say the z direction and have the electric vector pointing in -x direction (magnetic field in -y direction). Then if the waveguide (two parallel planes) was in the x-z plane, they would both be parallel to it. I don't think frequency of the incoming wave matters much in what I'm asking either.

What is TE mode for waveguides?

TE mode, or transverse electric mode, is a type of electromagnetic wave that propagates through a waveguide in which the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This mode does not have any electric field components in the direction of propagation, and is often used in high frequency applications.

How is TE mode different from TM mode?

TE mode is characterized by having a perpendicular electric field and a parallel magnetic field, while TM mode has a perpendicular magnetic field and a parallel electric field. In other words, the electric and magnetic fields in TE mode are perpendicular to each other, while in TM mode they are parallel.

What are the advantages of using TE mode in waveguides?

TE mode allows for efficient and low-loss transmission of high frequency signals, making it ideal for use in communication systems and other high frequency applications. Additionally, the lack of electric field components in the direction of propagation reduces interference and crosstalk between different channels in a waveguide.

How is TE mode excited in a waveguide?

TE mode can be excited in a waveguide through various methods, such as using a coaxial cable or a waveguide probe. The exact method used will depend on the specific application and the design of the waveguide.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using TE mode in waveguides?

TE mode is not suitable for all types of waveguide designs and may not work well at lower frequencies. Additionally, it is important to ensure proper impedance matching to avoid reflections and losses. In certain cases, TM mode may be a better choice for specific applications.