1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TE modes in EM waveguides

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I classify modes? If there is a rectangular waveguide how can I show it is operating in TE10, TE20 or TE11 mode.

2. Relevant equations
    Could someone help clarify how the 10, 11 or 20 comes about?
    Is it due to the dimensions of the guide or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2
    OK Wikipedia has helped.
    Could someone confirm this please?

"In rectangular waveguides, rectangular mode numbers are designated by two suffix numbers attached to the mode type, such as TEmn, where m is the number of half-wavelengths across the width of the waveguide and n is the number of half-wavelengths across the height of the waveguide."

Also realised that the EM waves travel within the cavity, through the dielectric (air) & losses (attenuation) are through interaction with the wall & from skin effects.
    Generally at the boundary the electric & magnetic fields are zero.

I'm not quite sure as to why the E & H fields should be zero though, except that when there is no E field, then H will also be zero.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook