Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tea, Anyone?

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

There is no doubt in my mind that tea is a gift to humanity from nature! What is great about it is you it tastes great hot or cold, comes in so many varieties that is sure to please the pickiest, and of course the health benefits are a bonus! My favorites are white tea, jasmine, and oolong. For a quick cup of tea, I drink Stash brands, but for real indulgence Teavana has the best selection by far. I was able to convert my husband into a tea drinker recently, once you start, you won't stop.

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    I love fruit teas. Problem is they still stain your teeth. Teavana is wonderful, but super super expensive.

5. Apr 26, 2010 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Teavana is expensive, but I have found since I drink more tea, I drink less coffee and eat less junk food o:)

6. Apr 26, 2010 #5
    up to a certain point you definitely get what you pay for though, at least if you make it kung-fu style (imho). high-quality teas can be steeped more times than lower-quality teas, and less leaves are needed to make good tea also, so a good tea session can cost as little as $0.50-$1.00 worth of leaves. but if people buy tea online without trying it first I think they're crazy. there's only so much you can tell just by looking at the leaves.

7. Apr 26, 2010 #6
    I have never been very fond of tea. I enjoy peach iced tea but that is really just tea doctored up with lots of juice and sugar. When I worked at the coffee house I drank Tea Republic's ginger peach tea when I was sick. I dosed it heavily with honey and lemon.

8. Apr 26, 2010 #7
  9. Apr 26, 2010 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love tea. A favorite from when I was in my teens was sarsaparilla tea. I would buy the root from the chemist shop at a place called Westbury Square, in Houston, TX. Astronuc will remember that.

I think one of my favorite comfort teas is vervaine.

10. Apr 26, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

The gardeners here can grow some bee-balm. The leaves make a very comforting tea. Have you paid big bucks for bergamot tea-bags? Plant some bee-balm (which spreads like crazy) and buy a tea-ball to steep the leaves. My wife and I have split and replanted (again!) our bee-balm (we have red and purple varieties) as we expand some flower-beds on the front lawn. Don't put bee-balm in your vegetable garden or you'll regret it. Very aggressive spreaders.

BTW, minty plants like bee-balm are wonderful container-plants and are easy to grow on patios and balconies. Even better, they are really tough perennials! Plus, they attract nectar-feeding critters like butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds that can dress up your home with their presence. Some bees are drawn to the blooms, but are physiologically unable to exploit the nectar and pollen, but they'll still show up. That's not a bad thing when you have vegetables that need pollinating. Big buzz-pollinating bumblebees aren't going to get any benefit from the bee-balm, but you'll get a big benefit when they turn their attentions to your winter squash and cucumber blossoms.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  11. Apr 26, 2010 #10
    I enjoy green tea very much, often to the surprise of other people. I haven't had much opportunity to try other teas, but everything takes time.

12. Apr 26, 2010 #11

turbo

Gold Member

BTW, Chocolate Mint is wonderful and it spreads like crazy. It hugs the ground, unlike other bushier mints, but it claims territory like Atilla! Most mints make really pleasurable teas, and they are caffeine-free so you can have a cup just before bed-time and sack out.

13. Apr 26, 2010 #12

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MMmmmmmm....

I live in Hong Kong so I get good access to a variety of Chinese teas. Pu-er is a really good tea. Nice and earthy for the cooked ones but I cannot get myself to spend the money for a well aged uncooked pu-er. But the tea here is much better in terms of variety and quality that I could find in the US which was mainly strong black teas from India.

14. Apr 27, 2010 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to forget about coffee...

http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Apr 27, 2010 #14
    [PLAIN]http://kettle.slaggle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tea_earl_grey_picard_small.jpg [Broken]

16. Apr 27, 2010 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook