Health Benefits of Tea: The Tea Council's Research

In summary, tea is a wonderful, healthy drink that comes in many varieties and tastes great hot or cold. The research funded by The Tea Council was conducted and found that tea is a gift to humanity from nature. It is also great for a quick cup of tea, and can be steeped many times for a high-quality experience. Fruit teas are also delicious, but they can still stain teeth. Teavana, though expensive, has the best selection of tea by far.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no doubt in my mind that tea is a gift to humanity from nature! What is great about it is you it tastes great hot or cold, comes in so many varieties that is sure to please the pickiest, and of course the health benefits are a bonus! My favorites are white tea, jasmine, and oolong. For a quick cup of tea, I drink Stash brands, but for real indulgence Teavana has the best selection by far. I was able to convert my husband into a tea drinker recently, once you start, you won't stop.

I love fruit teas. Problem is they still stain your teeth. Teavana is wonderful, but super super expensive.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I love fruit teas. Problem is they still stain your teeth. Teavana is wonderful, but super super expensive.

Teavana is expensive, but I have found since I drink more tea, I drink less coffee and eat less junk food o:)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Kerrie said:
Teavana is expensive, but I have found since I drink more tea, I drink less coffee and eat less junk food o:)

up to a certain point you definitely get what you pay for though, at least if you make it kung-fu style (imho). high-quality teas can be steeped more times than lower-quality teas, and less leaves are needed to make good tea also, so a good tea session can cost as little as $0.50-$1.00 worth of leaves. but if people buy tea online without trying it first I think they're crazy. there's only so much you can tell just by looking at the leaves.

I have never been very fond of tea. I enjoy peach iced tea but that is really just tea doctored up with lots of juice and sugar. When I worked at the coffee house I drank Tea Republic's ginger peach tea when I was sick. I dosed it heavily with honey and lemon.

I love tea. A favorite from when I was in my teens was sarsaparilla tea. I would buy the root from the chemist shop at a place called Westbury Square, in Houston, TX. Astronuc will remember that.

I think one of my favorite comfort teas is vervaine.

The gardeners here can grow some bee-balm. The leaves make a very comforting tea. Have you paid big bucks for bergamot tea-bags? Plant some bee-balm (which spreads like crazy) and buy a tea-ball to steep the leaves. My wife and I have split and replanted (again!) our bee-balm (we have red and purple varieties) as we expand some flower-beds on the front lawn. Don't put bee-balm in your vegetable garden or you'll regret it. Very aggressive spreaders.

BTW, minty plants like bee-balm are wonderful container-plants and are easy to grow on patios and balconies. Even better, they are really tough perennials! Plus, they attract nectar-feeding critters like butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds that can dress up your home with their presence. Some bees are drawn to the blooms, but are physiologically unable to exploit the nectar and pollen, but they'll still show up. That's not a bad thing when you have vegetables that need pollinating. Big buzz-pollinating bumblebees aren't going to get any benefit from the bee-balm, but you'll get a big benefit when they turn their attentions to your winter squash and cucumber blossoms.

Last edited:
I enjoy green tea very much, often to the surprise of other people. I haven't had much opportunity to try other teas, but everything takes time.

BTW, Chocolate Mint is wonderful and it spreads like crazy. It hugs the ground, unlike other bushier mints, but it claims territory like Atilla! Most mints make really pleasurable teas, and they are caffeine-free so you can have a cup just before bed-time and sack out.

MMmmmmmm...

I live in Hong Kong so I get good access to a variety of Chinese teas. Pu-er is a really good tea. Nice and earthy for the cooked ones but I cannot get myself to spend the money for a well aged uncooked pu-er. But the tea here is much better in terms of variety and quality that I could find in the US which was mainly strong black teas from India.

Not to forget about coffee...

Want a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?

If it sounds too good to be true, think again.

Coffee, the much maligned but undoubtedly beloved beverage, just made headlines for possibly cutting the risk of the latest disease epidemic, type 2 diabetes. And the real news seems to be that the more you drink, the better.

...Is it the caffeine? The oodles of antioxidants in coffee beans, some of which become especially potent during the roasting process? Even other mysterious properties that warrant this intensive study?

Actually, yes...
http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

Last edited by a moderator:
[PLAIN]http://kettle.slaggle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tea_earl_grey_picard_small.jpg

Cyrus said:
[PLAIN]http://kettle.slaggle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tea_earl_grey_picard_small.jpg[/QUOTE]

Nice :cool:

What are the health benefits of drinking tea?

Drinking tea has been associated with numerous health benefits, including improved heart health, reduced risk of stroke and heart attack, and even lowering the risk of certain types of cancer. Tea also contains antioxidants and polyphenols, which can help boost the immune system and potentially prevent chronic diseases.

What types of tea have the most health benefits?

The type of tea that has the most health benefits may vary, but in general, green tea and black tea are known for their high levels of antioxidants and polyphenols. Herbal teas, such as chamomile and peppermint, also have their own unique health benefits.

Is drinking tea better than drinking coffee for your health?

While both tea and coffee have their own health benefits, tea may have an edge over coffee due to its high levels of antioxidants and lower levels of caffeine. However, it ultimately depends on personal preference and moderation in consumption.

What are the potential risks or side effects of drinking tea?

In general, tea is considered safe for consumption. However, some people may experience side effects such as insomnia, irritability, or upset stomach from the caffeine in tea. It is also important to note that some herbal teas may interact with certain medications, so it is best to consult with a healthcare professional before adding them to your diet.

How much tea should I drink for maximum health benefits?

The recommended amount of tea consumption for maximum health benefits may vary, but in general, 2-3 cups of tea per day is considered a moderate and safe amount. It is important to note that excessive consumption of tea may lead to negative side effects, so it is best to drink in moderation.