Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tea in Milk Question

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    While my friend was making a nice cup of British tea today, I noticed that when he put cold milk into the tea, it first sank but then almost immediately afterwards floated upwards. He thought it could be that the cold milk warmed up and hence floated to the top since warmer liquids are less dense. Is that the only reason or are there others?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He added milk to tea ..... shakes head .....

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, the milk didn't get warmer than the tea it was sitting in, now did it?

1] Fat floats in water.
    2] Pouring a liquid into another liquids will tend to set up a circulatory system. bringing the milk back up top.

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am with Dave's 2 - I would bet mainly on circulation. Milk density is slightly higher than that of water, but not enough to stay on the bottom. Most likely any other liquid with density and viscosity similar to that of water will behave exactly the same way, milk is just easier to see.

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5

madmike159

Gold Member

You have milk with out tea:confused: Why?

7. Jul 5, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Echo that. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

8. Jul 5, 2008 #7

madmike159

Gold Member

Woops I ment tea with out milk lol. disgusting:yuck:

9. Jul 6, 2008 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm sure part of the answer is becasue he *poured* it in, rather than floated it on (i.e. black and tans, pousse-cafe drinks, etc.). Then, because milk and tea are miscible, mixing ocurred along with whater convective-inertial flow ocurred.

10. Jul 8, 2008 #9
    Milk with Tea FOR THE WIN

11. Jul 9, 2008 #10

madmike159

Gold Member

Hell yea, were going of topic though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?