Tea in Milk: Reasons for Floating Upwards

• Thread starter springBreeze
  • Start date
In summary, Dave thinks that the cold milk warmed up and hence floated to the top since warmer liquids are less dense.
springBreeze
While my friend was making a nice cup of British tea today, I noticed that when he put cold milk into the tea, it first sank but then almost immediately afterwards floated upwards. He thought it could be that the cold milk warmed up and hence floated to the top since warmer liquids are less dense. Is that the only reason or are there others?

Physics news on Phys.org
He added milk to tea ... shakes head ...

springBreeze said:
He thought it could be that the cold milk warmed up and hence floated to the top since warmer liquids are less dense.
Well, the milk didn't get warmer than the tea it was sitting in, now did it?

1] Fat floats in water.
2] Pouring a liquid into another liquids will tend to set up a circulatory system. bringing the milk back up top.

I am with Dave's 2 - I would bet mainly on circulation. Milk density is slightly higher than that of water, but not enough to stay on the bottom. Most likely any other liquid with density and viscosity similar to that of water will behave exactly the same way, milk is just easier to see.

mgb_phys said:

You have milk without tea:confused: Why?

mgb_phys said:

Echo that. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

madmike159 said:
You have milk without tea:confused: Why?

Woops I ment tea without milk lol. disgusting:yuck:

springBreeze said:
While my friend was making a nice cup of British tea today, I noticed that when he put cold milk into the tea, it first sank but then almost immediately afterwards floated upwards. He thought it could be that the cold milk warmed up and hence floated to the top since warmer liquids are less dense. Is that the only reason or are there others?

I'm sure part of the answer is becasue he *poured* it in, rather than floated it on (i.e. black and tans, pousse-cafe drinks, etc.). Then, because milk and tea are miscible, mixing ocurred along with whater convective-inertial flow ocurred.

Milk with Tea FOR THE WIN

NoobixCube said:
Milk with Tea FOR THE WIN

Hell yea, were going of topic though.

1. Why does tea float on top of milk?

Tea is less dense than milk, so it will float on top. This is due to the difference in their molecular structures and compositions.

2. Does the temperature of the tea or milk affect the floating of tea?

Yes, the temperature of the tea and milk can affect the floating of tea. Warmer liquids have less dense particles, so the tea may float more easily. However, extreme temperatures can also cause the tea to sink due to changes in density.

3. What type of tea floats the most in milk?

Herbal teas, such as peppermint or chamomile, tend to float more in milk because they have larger and lighter particles compared to black or green teas.

4. Can adding sugar or other additives affect the floating of tea in milk?

Yes, adding sugar or other additives can affect the floating of tea in milk. Sugar increases the density of the liquid, causing the tea to sink. Other additives, such as cream or honey, can also alter the density and affect the floating of the tea.

5. Is the floating of tea in milk related to the type of milk used?

Yes, the type of milk used can affect the floating of tea. Different types of milk have different densities, so the tea may float differently in whole milk compared to skim milk. Additionally, the fat content in milk can also play a role in the floating of tea.