Need help learning Calculus on your own? Check out these resources!

• Thread starter derek.basler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the person is seeking recommendations for resources to learn Calculus on their own in preparation for an upcoming AP Physics C class. They are open to suggestions for websites, computer programs, applications, or books. It has been suggested that they try popular books such as Courant, Edwards and Penney, Stewart, Apostol, Cruse and Granberg, or the affordable book by Elliot Gootman.
derek.basler
does anyone know a good website, computer program/application, book that can help teach someone Calculus. I'm taking AP Physics C next year as a senior, and i will be co-enrolled in AP Calculus, but i won't have the "stuff" i need in time for the class. So if anyone knows anything that can help me learn Calculus on my own, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
this has been answered hundreds of times here. try any good calculus book, like courant, or edwards and penney first edition, or stewart 2nd edition, or apostol, or cruse and granberg, or the inexpensive little book by elliot gootman.

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is divided into two main areas: differential calculus, which focuses on the rate of change of quantities, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities.

2. Why is it important to learn calculus?

Calculus is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful set of tools for solving problems involving change and optimization. Additionally, many advanced concepts and theories in other areas of mathematics are built upon the foundations of calculus.

3. Is it difficult to learn calculus on your own?

Learning calculus can be challenging, but it is certainly possible to teach yourself. It requires dedication, a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, and consistent practice. There are many online resources, textbooks, and video tutorials available to support self-study.

4. How long does it take to learn calculus?

The amount of time it takes to learn calculus varies depending on the individual's prior knowledge and learning style. However, it typically takes several months to cover the topics in a standard calculus course. Consistent practice and review are key to mastering the material.

5. What are some tips for successfully teaching yourself calculus?

First, make sure you have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry. Next, break down the material into manageable chunks and practice regularly. Seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups, for extra support. Don't be afraid to ask questions and review concepts until you fully understand them. Lastly, stay motivated and positive, as learning calculus can be challenging but also very rewarding.