1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teach Yourself Physics

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    I was wondering what your opinions were on which "teach yourself physics" type book was the best overall for a potential physics major. I would really appreciate any help. I am looking for a text that really teaches the mathematical concepts as if it were a real physics course. Thanks in advance for your help.

By the way, i bought Barron's Physics - The Easy Way and have started using it but i only bought it because it was the cheapest one at the store. Any feedback on that book would be really useful as well.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2
    Feynman's Lectures on Physics.

He teaches the mathematics as he goes along, in his own inimitable way. And he does it in a way that is totally geared to the physics he is teaching. You may feel as if you need more practice with the mathematics to really "do the physics". But it would be perfect for the "first look, teach yourself, real course" route you want. When you come to do the major it will be an endlessly useful supplementary text.
  4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    The Feynman Lectures are inspiring, and I would also work the problems in Halliday & Resnick (I like my 4th edition of H&R's Physics, and old editions can be found cheap).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?