1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teaching career in physics

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    hi..good day!
    im a fresh grad of bs physics course and im hunting for a job,teaching career specifically, in our place.

anyhow, i would like to seek help and solicit from you idea on physics topic/s best used for demonstration..i dont have exact idea on what may be the criteria of those who will listen and judge if i get the teaching position..i understand that the manner you deliver plays a major role..but perhaps, the topic might affect as well..

so please..may i hear from you topics i might use for my material..

thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What kind of teaching?
    level? location?

4. May 13, 2009 #3
    i forgot to mention..
    college level physics courses, here in iligan city,philippines

thank you, by the way..

5. May 13, 2009 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would first understand your target college(s) and the students there.
    For example, technically-inclined calculus-based physics for scientists and engineers vs. algebra-based physics vs. conceptual physics.

Then, I would find out what they do now [format, textbook, etc...]. Are they happy with it? Or are they looking for some new ideas? e.g. computer-based learning, active-learning, new pedagogical approaches, etc...? It's a good idea to be aware of what is new in physics education and physics pedagogy. (However, be warned that you may encounter some resistance to some new ideas by older faculty who may be judging you.)

6. May 21, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is key for interviews. You need to know if they want you to be able to plug into the currently offered courses as they are already being taught (i.e., you're being hired to replace someone who has left and they don't want to change anything, just fill a gap), in which case, your best bet is to find out which lectures they want you to be able to teach and give an interview lecture that addresses those topics to show you know them well. On the other hand, if they want to hire someone new to improve a course they are not happy with, you should find out what they are currently doing and why they are not happy with it, then present new ways to teach it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook