Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teaching in a Primary School?

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    What's it like teaching in an elementary or primary school? How streesful is it? Probably not as much as teaching in a high school but more so than a University?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2
    Whats with these questions, are you doing a report?

I taught elementary school for 10 years and hit my students all 10 years when they misbehaved.

4. Apr 9, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

My wife is a teaching assistant at a local elementary school. It can be very stressful, especially when there is a mix of children with different learning abilities, or when one or more children act disruptively. Teachers have to deal with children and their emotional problems, which result things like ADD/ADHD, disrupted families (e.g. husband and/or wife act violently to each other or the children), child abuse (i.e. children who are violently or sexually abused by a parent, sibling or other family member), . . . .

Occasionally one encounters a child who lashes out violently against other students or the teacher. The teacher is expected to calmly deal with it.

5. Apr 9, 2007 #4
    Why are you asking? It's just for curioisty sake. You should have been prosecuted long ago for doing that.

6. Apr 9, 2007 #5
    If you mean hitting the children, I disagree. Part of teaching in school should be discipline and morals. That will no doubt vary from teacher to teacher, but I think giving a child who shouted out a bad word a small spanking would do him/her some good.

7. Apr 9, 2007 #6
    Because those are odd questions to be asking. Why, kids need to be disciplined.

8. Apr 9, 2007 #7

And the teacher of the year goes to..........(its the maestro from seinfeld!).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Apr 9, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

My wife made the point that 'hitting' is punishment (usually referred to as corporal punishment), not discipline. In NY, and perhaps the NE US, a teacher would be suspended for striking or hitting a child. A child who acts out will be sent to the principal and the parents will be summoned to the school.

10. Apr 11, 2007 #9
    Even though it's streeful, some people still do it. I wonder what kind or type of people (as in what type of personal qualities, characteristics etc) choose to teach in elementary school and have it as their career?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?