1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teaching myself math in jail?

1. Sep 7, 2017 #51

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read his post # 47. He's now home free.

2. Sep 7, 2017 #52
    I got out on Sunday

3. Sep 9, 2017 #53
    I am currently reading Statistics by Freedman, Pisani and Purves. It is fantastic. The book teaches how to think about statistical methods and concepts deeply while keeping the mathematical level very accessible. For this reason one will need to read more advanced material later, but a very strong foundation will be there.

4. Sep 9, 2017 #54
    The book The Universal Solution for Numerical and Literal Equations by McGinnis was written when the author was in prison. If memory serves he was sentenced for some kind of white collar crime, but the book was still highly regarded by some in academia.

5. Sep 10, 2017 #55
    What were the reactions of other prisoners about you doing rigorous maths in jail ?

6. Sep 14, 2017 #56
    Confusion. "Are you getting your GED?" Yes differential equations is part of the GED lol

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted