Best Physics Books for Self-Teaching: From High School to Quantum Mechanics

In summary, if you are looking for an introductory physics book that is calculus based, "University Physics" by Sears and Zemansky would be a good choice. Another book that is calculus based and covers more comprehensive material is "Fundamentals of Physics" by Haliday and Resnick.
dlilpyro
What would be the best book to teach myself physics? I'm currently a sophomore in high school and am taking trig this year and pre-calc next year. I'm also taking physics honors next year. However, I would like to get a jump on this course and eventually try to move into quantum mechanics on my own. So what would be the best introductory book and then the best book for moving on into more advanced topics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

University Physics by Sears and Zemansky, I found, was quite complete in terms of elementary physics. It is not calculus based, however, it does show how calculus can be applied to the various concepts. The first few chapters revolve around vectors, motion in 1-D, 2-D, and 3-D, as well as kinematics of rotation and Work-Energy.

It comes in a bundle of three books (Or 1 if you get hardcover) which spans the whole of the Canadian pre-university curriculum in physics(Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, and Wave Motion and Modern Physics). It also reaches out to higher levels of physics (Black holes and their properties are introduced in the second half of book 1.)

Enjoy

-F

Also, if the above book does not suit you since it is non-calculus based, then try this: Fundamentals of Physics by Haliday and Resnick.

-F

Fragment said:
University Physics by Sears and Zemansky, I found, was quite complete in terms of elementary physics. It is not calculus based, however, it does show how calculus can be applied to the various concepts. The first few chapters revolve around vectors, motion in 1-D, 2-D, and 3-D, as well as kinematics of rotation and Work-Energy.

It comes in a bundle of three books (Or 1 if you get hardcover) which spans the whole of the Canadian pre-university curriculum in physics(Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, and Wave Motion and Modern Physics). It also reaches out to higher levels of physics (Black holes and their properties are introduced in the second half of book 1.)

Enjoy

-F

The "University Physics" I have is definitely calculus based. Maybe not as rigorous as an upper level mechanics or EM book but calculus based without a doubt.

1. What are the benefits of teaching myself physics?

Teaching yourself physics can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, increase scientific literacy, and provide a deeper understanding of the natural world.

2. Is it possible to teach myself physics without a formal education?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself physics without a formal education. There are many online resources, textbooks, and study materials available for self-guided learning.

3. How much time should I dedicate to teaching myself physics?

The amount of time needed to teach yourself physics will vary depending on your learning style and the complexity of the material. It is recommended to set aside a few hours each day for consistent studying.

4. Do I need a strong math background to teach myself physics?

Having a solid understanding of math, particularly algebra and calculus, can be helpful in learning physics. However, there are resources available to help you review and improve your math skills while learning physics.

5. Can I apply what I learn from teaching myself physics to real-life situations?

Yes, the concepts and principles of physics can be applied to many real-life situations, such as understanding the behavior of objects in motion, the properties of light and sound, and the functioning of technology and machines.