Teach Yourself Physics: Halliday & Resnick as a Start

In summary: PBS documentaries or from watching the news. It's great that you're interested in both, but you're going to have to be selective in what you learn. The 'hard' maths and physics will help you understand the 'easy' ones, but you won't be able to learn the 'easy' ones without the 'hard' ones. You'll never learn the requisite maths and physics from YouTube. If you are reduced to YouTube videos, you might as well pack it up and go back to Jane Austen, or whatever!Similarly, there's a dichotomy between pop science (for a wider audience) and real science. We field hundreds of questions on
Andrew Munzer
Hi all! I was referred to this forum through a google search about how to teach myself the basics of Astrophysics... this Quora page in particular. You guys must be doing something right, as it seemed like an informed response.

I'm beginning, as that post suggests, with Halliday & Resnick. I look forward to getting to know the community here, and I'd welcome any suggestions for books or resources that have helped you right at the beginning of your 'journey into Physics'.

My background is as an associate lecturer in English Literature - so I'm really crossing the aisle here! best wishes, Andy.

Likes berkeman and hsdrop
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrew Munzer said:
Hi all! I was referred to this forum through a google search about how to teach myself the basics of Astrophysics... this Quora page in particular. You guys must be doing something right, as it seemed like an informed response.

I'm beginning, as that post suggests, with Halliday & Resnick. I look forward to getting to know the community here, and I'd welcome any suggestions for books or resources that have helped you right at the beginning of your 'journey into Physics'.

My background is as an associate lecturer in English Literature - so I'm really crossing the aisle here! best wishes, Andy.
Welcome to PF!

Andrew Munzer said:

How's your maths? Two useful resources are:

The A-level maths syllabus is presented here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/

And, a summary of university level calculus is here:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Likes Andrew Munzer
Thanks for these PeroK... I haven't studied maths since school, so I'm sure I'll have to brush up my skills.

I would start off slow. Work at your oun pace which is the good part about teaching yourself anything. The downside is that it's hard to grade yourself and make sure that you understand the concepts on your oun without talking to someone else. That's why I love this forum so much. I can ask almost anything I can't understand on my oun and get a straight answer without second guessing if that answer is right or not. If you learn better by watching video try acople of youtube channels that I have found to be quite good about breaking thing down and simplifying physics. PBS Space Time, Vsauce, and Veritasium. And remember the most important thing when learning anything.
Never be afraid or feel dumb to ask questions or for help.

Awesome hsdrop... I'll check out those YouTube channels right away... and yes, I'm starting slow: keeping the 'fun' content alongside the stuff that might be a bit more dry (textbooks). I picked up Roger Penrose's 'Road to Reality' book recently, and he prefaced by talking about this very issue - the balance of maths ("hard") and the narratives that make books on science appeal to a wider audience. I want to learn both!

Another good suggestion is to learn the history of physics. learning the history (the same way that man did) seemed easier for me to build up to the more complex concepts. Most of the concepts are named after the person that either discovered or invented the idea. that way when someone refers to the name of something like the "Copenhagen interatchen" or the " Boltzmann brains" you don't have to stop and google or wiki it to know that they are referring to.

Likes Andrew Munzer
I don't know what your end goal is, but if you want to gain a mathematical understanding I'd brush up on integral calculus and statistics.

Likes hsdrop
Andrew Munzer said:
Awesome hsdrop... I'll check out those YouTube channels right away... and yes, I'm starting slow: keeping the 'fun' content alongside the stuff that might be a bit more dry (textbooks). I picked up Roger Penrose's 'Road to Reality' book recently, and he prefaced by talking about this very issue - the balance of maths ("hard") and the narratives that make books on science appeal to a wider audience. I want to learn both!

You're never going to learn the requisite maths and physics from YouTube. If you are reduced to YouTube videos, you might as well pack it up and go back to Jane Austen, or whatever!

Similarly, there's a dichotomy between pop science (for a wider audience) and real science. We field hundreds of questions on here that arise from popular science books and videos and it's largely the same story - all the nonsense and half truths we try to dispel. It's one or the other, in my opinion.

If you want to learn astrophysics at a pop science level, there is no issue. But, if you want to hack the real thing, you have almost totally to reinvent yourself. And, you know, it's supposed to be "hard"! It has to be the hard stuff that appeals. Not the idiotic rubber sheet analogy, but the Schwarzschild geometry:

##ds^2 = -(1-\frac{2GM}{c^2r})(cdt)^2 + (1-\frac{2GM}{c^2r})^{-1}dr^2 + r^2(d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta d\phi^2)##

It's a long hard road until you can fully appreciate the enormous significance of that equation. Not five minutes to watch a YouTube video with the Earth rolling round a rubber sheet "stretched" by the Sun.

Likes TJGilb
PeroK said:
You're never going to learn the requisite maths and physics from YouTube. If you are reduced to YouTube videos, you might as well pack it up and go back to Jane Austen, or whatever!

Similarly, there's a dichotomy between pop science (for a wider audience) and real science. We field hundreds of questions on here that arise from popular science books and videos and it's largely the same story - all the nonsense and half truths we try to dispel. It's one or the other, in my opinion.

If you want to learn astrophysics at a pop science level, there is no issue. But, if you want to hack the real thing, you have almost totally to reinvent yourself. And, you know, it's supposed to be "hard"! It has to be the hard stuff that appeals. Not the idiotic rubber sheet analogy, but the Schwarzschild geometry:

##ds^2 = -(1-\frac{2GM}{c^2r})(cdt)^2 + (1-\frac{2GM}{c^2r})^{-1}dr^2 + r^2(d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta d\phi^2)##

It's a long hard road until you can fully appreciate the enormous significance of that equation. Not five minutes to watch a YouTube video with the Earth rolling round a rubber sheet "stretched" by the Sun.
I think he is talking about videos like of Khan academy etc, etc.

But I have to agree that rubber sheet analogy is very idotic and repititive. Whenever I see that I am like "c'mon, not again, get CREATIVE guys". It should be a internet meme by now.

rubber_sheet.png

teaching_physics.png

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and TJGilb
I agree PeroK... my use of the word "hard" was from Penrose's preface, where he worries that his readership won't want to work through the equations in full. I should say, I do - I absolutely want to teach myself the physics, not a watered-down version. Hence I'm starting with Halliday & Resnick, which as I understand is a good course textbook.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the main concept of "Teach Yourself Physics: Halliday & Resnick as a Start"?

The main concept of "Teach Yourself Physics: Halliday & Resnick as a Start" is to provide a comprehensive and approachable introduction to the fundamental principles and concepts of physics. It is designed for self-study and aims to help readers build a strong foundation in the subject.

2. Who is this book suitable for?

This book is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning physics, whether they are a high school student, college student, or simply someone who wants to gain a better understanding of the subject. It is also suitable for those who are preparing for standardized tests or entrance exams that include physics.

3. What topics are covered in "Teach Yourself Physics: Halliday & Resnick as a Start"?

This book covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It also includes discussions on scientific methods, measurements, and problem-solving techniques.

4. Is prior knowledge of physics required to understand this book?

No, this book is designed for beginners and does not require any prior knowledge of physics. However, some basic mathematical skills and understanding of scientific concepts may be helpful in fully comprehending the material.

5. Can this book be used as a standalone resource for learning physics?

Yes, "Teach Yourself Physics: Halliday & Resnick as a Start" can be used as a standalone resource for learning physics. However, it is always beneficial to supplement your learning with other resources such as lectures, online tutorials, or hands-on experiments to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.