• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Teaching myself trigconfusion

• Thread starter Brady
  • Start date
Hi, I'm in the complex numbers section of a trig book, and I'm having trouble intuitively understanding how a number like 3+5i can become (3,5) on the Gaussian coordinate plane...the logic behind it doesn't jump out at me...

Any help?

And is calculus generally a smooth transition after mastering trig and algebra 2, or is it something totally different?

Thanks a lot,
Brady Yoon :redface:

Answers and Replies

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Brady said:
Hi, I'm in the complex numbers section of a trig book, and I'm having trouble intuitively understanding how a number like 3+5i can become (3,5) on the Gaussian coordinate plane...the logic behind it doesn't jump out at me...

ummm. The idea of the Gaussian plane is to represent complex numbers as vectors. We chose the x-axis to host the real part of the complex number and the y-axis to host the imaginary part. Thus a complex number a+bi has the vector representation (a,b) in the Gaussian plane.

though you might not completely understand this, I will add that [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex], as groups, are isomorphic to one another [according to the isomorphism that assigns to each complex number its corresponding vector in the Gaussian plane: f(a+bi) = (a,b)].
Maybe someone else can extrapolate on what intesresting things this implies; I'd be interested. Thx.

Last edited:
a smooth translation from trig is non existent. calculus is just alot of algebra with a few more formulas thrown in. dont let it scare you though, it isnt as hard as you think

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's just a way of representing the complex numbers. Just as we can think of real numbers as numbers on a "number line", since every complex number, a+ bi, requires two real numbers, we need two number lines to represent complex number. It happens to be simplest to make those number lines perpendicular. The complex number a+bi is represented by the pair (a,b) in an obvious way and that corresponds to the point with coordinates (a, b).