Teaching Voltage: Get Help For New Physics Teacher Matt

In summary, the teacher is trying to learn how to teach a learning outcome in physics, and is looking for advice. The teacher has a learning outcome they must teach in Grade 10 (S2) Gen Science, and they want to know how to best do it. They define voltage (electrical potential difference) and solve problems related to it. They also want to make about 5 practice problems and an answer key. The teacher has read about voltage on Wikipedia, and constructed an analog for resistors, capacitors, and inductors. They go on to say that they will be coming back to this forum more often as they learn more about voltage.
Miranda2005
Hi, I am a teacher (new) and have never taught Physics before... GULP.

I have a learning outcome I must teach and am unsure of how to best do it. It is in the grade 10 (S2) Gen Science...

I must define voltage (electrical potential difference) as the energy per unit charge between 2 points along a conductor and solve related problems. Include: V = E/Q

Basically, I need to put this into understandable notes my students can use without the help of a textbook.

I also want to make about 5 practice problems for the students to work through...and an answer key.

Does anyone have any ideas? :bugeye:
Help!
Thanks,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia explains it quite well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage although you may have to paraphrase somewhat. When I was at high school I would intially tought about voltage using the hydraulic pressure analogy, but I was never a fan.

Regards,
~H

for secondary school, you can use a hydrological analog. a quantity of water that weighs one Newton is a colomb (the mass would be 1 Nt/g where g is 9.8 m/s2). current would be measured as how much water (measured in "coulombs")) passes past a point in a pipe per unit time. an ampere would be 1 "coulomb" per second.

then Voltage is just like water pressure. the pressure of water (at ground level) is directly proportional to the height of the level of water in the tank of a water tower. and that height represents exactly how much energy (in Joules) it takes to lift one "coulomb" of water (that is 1 Nt/g or about 102 grams). to lift that "coulomb" of water (that weighs 1 Newton) up 1 meter, requires 1 Joule of energy, so a pressure resulting from one meter of height would be 1 volt. that would be about 9810 Nt/m2 of pressure or a little less than 1 Nt/cm2.

does that help?

you can construct hydrological analogs for a resistor, a capacitor, and an inductor. even a crude hydrological analog for a transistor (an FET).

Miranda2005 said:
Hi, I am a teacher (new) and have never taught Physics before... GULP.

I have a learning outcome I must teach and am unsure of how to best do it. It is in the grade 10 (S2) Gen Science...

I must define voltage (electrical potential difference) as the energy per unit charge between 2 points along a conductor and solve related problems. Include: V = E/Q

Basically, I need to put this into understandable notes my students can use without the help of a textbook.

I also want to make about 5 practice problems for the students to work through...and an answer key.

Does anyone have any ideas? :bugeye:
Help!
Thanks,
Matt

Let's try this. Not sure if it will work with your students, but I'll run it by you anyway.

What if we want to know what is the electrostatic potential energy difference between two points in space? (remember that potential energy is really a measure of the difference in PE with respect to a reference value.) What we could do is use a test charge Q, and move it from Point 1 to Point 2, and find the work done. This work done is equal to the change in potential energy.

However, if we tell other people that value, we also have to tell them it was measured using a test charge Q! If we use a different test charge, our change in PE will be different! This is cumbersome to other people who would like to use other values of charge. So what do we do? We "normalize" or divide out the value of the test charge that we use. So we take the change in PE U and divided out the test charge that we used, so obtain a ratio U/Q. We define this new quantity as potential, V. This is the change in energy per unit charge.

So next time, someone wants to know what is the amount of work, or change in potential energy that occurs in going from Point 1 to Point 2 by some charge, let's call it q, all that person needs to do is look at the value of potential we have found, and just multiply it with whatever charge that is being used. So knowing V is helpful in the sense that it is not dependent on a particular value of test charge (even though, if someone wants to be picking, he/she can argue that it is for a 1 unit of charge).

Zz.

I won't be able to help until I personally truly understand the concepts, then I will be able to explain it in understandable terms to the lay person or to an 8 year old.

thanks!

Hi, this was my first time posting to this forum. Thank you for your swift and helpful replies. You can expect to see me here more often after all this help!
I appreciate this. Now I hope I can make it work!
Matt

1. What is the purpose of "Teaching Voltage"?

The purpose of "Teaching Voltage" is to provide assistance and resources for new physics teachers, specifically focusing on the concept of voltage. It aims to help teachers effectively teach this topic and enhance their students' understanding of it.

2. Who is "Teaching Voltage" designed for?

"Teaching Voltage" is designed for new physics teachers who may be struggling to effectively teach the concept of voltage in their classroom. However, it can also be a helpful resource for experienced teachers looking to enhance their teaching methods for this topic.

3. What type of resources are available on "Teaching Voltage"?

There are a variety of resources available on "Teaching Voltage" including lesson plans, activities, worksheets, and interactive simulations. These resources are designed to engage students and help them understand the concept of voltage in a hands-on and visual way.

4. How can "Teaching Voltage" benefit new physics teachers?

"Teaching Voltage" can benefit new physics teachers by providing them with helpful resources and strategies for teaching the concept of voltage. It can also help them save time and effort in lesson planning, and ultimately improve their students' understanding and performance in this topic.

5. Is "Teaching Voltage" a free resource?

Yes, "Teaching Voltage" is a free resource available for new physics teachers. It is an open-source platform, meaning that anyone can access and use the resources provided without any cost. However, some external links or materials may require a fee to access.