1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teaching With the Game Portal

1. Aug 19, 2016 #1
    So I have found this awesome resource called 'Teaching with Portal"

For those who do not know, Portal is a puzzle game where players have to solve challenges given certain components in the environment that they are in.

Somebody has created a "Teaching with Portal" lesson plans (found here)

I am not a teacher yet as I am still in college, but I thought it was interesting. Has anyone tried it, if so I'm curious to see how it worked for you and your students?

What are people's thoughts on this in general?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2016 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

My comment is the same for this as it is for all virtual labs: these are not replacements for real labs. One does not 'design experiments' in virtual labs, one is constrained by the code, which is at best an imperfect simulacrum of the real world.

4. Oct 26, 2016 #3
    Hmm...

Like what Andy just said, a virtual lab is constrained by code.

Now, something that would be much more useful would be creating/ using physics simulations with Source, the game engine that Portal runs on. Again, it would still be restricted by code, but it least you wouldn’t exactly be restricted to a puzzle-based story game with set-pieces.

5. Oct 26, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't want to be negative, but I don't like teaching stuff about the real world like physics by using something that obviously doesn't exist and that gives rise to certain paradoxes easily.

6. Oct 26, 2016 #5
    Hence why Andy and I said that it's restricted by code: Code can't accurately display certain physics concepts due to it being just code, not actual, physical objects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted