Planning Tournament with p People & g Games: Algorithm Needed

• Thread starter cubemx
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a practical math problem related to planning a tournament with a specific set of rules. The problem involves assigning teams to games in a fair and efficient manner, considering factors such as the number of teams, games, and rounds, as well as the relationships between teams and games. To solve this problem, the speaker suggests breaking it down into smaller parts, creating a visualization of teams and games, using group and graph theory to create an algorithm, testing and refining the algorithm, and finally creating pseudocode or a flowchart to implement the algorithm in a programming language.
cubemx
Hi,
I have a practical math problem that I can't solve by myself.
The problem is probably already solved by other people but I can't find it using Google.
If somebody knows a solution or is willing to try and solve it that would be awesome.
I need a algorithm to plan some kind of tournament.

This is the problem:
There are a total of p people, they are distributed over teams.
Ever round g different games are played, t teams play game A, t teams play game B etc. for all g games. (So the total number of teams is t*g.)

For instance:
g = 5, t=3 (so there a 15 teams)

....Round 1......Round 2.... Round 3 etc. etc.
Game A:...1 vs 2 vs 3….....4 vs 8 vs 15...
Game B:...4 vs 5 vs 6...1 vs 7 vs 12...
Game C:...7 vs 8 vs 9...2 vs 10 vs 13...
Game D:...10 vs 11 vs 12...3 vs 6 vs 14...
Game E:...13 vs 14 vs 15...5 vs 9 vs 11...

Rule 1: Every team has to play every game at least once, but no more than strictly necessary to make all rules work.

Rule 2: Every team has to play against every other team,so team 1 has to play team 2,3,4...15 (team 2 has to play team all other teams etc. etc.). If team 1 already played team 12, they can only play each other again if it's strictly necessary to make the rules work. In the example above there was a match "1 vs 7 vs 12" so later on match "1 vs 12 vs 9" may only happen is there is no other option.

Rule 3: If a team has to play a game more than once, it's better if there is a pause between those games (so not in successive rounds).

Rule 4: If a team has to play a other team more than once, it's better if there is a pause between those games (so not in successive rounds).

Rule 5: If the people can't be distributed equally over the teams (for instance p=147 and there are 15 teams, three teams will be smaller), smaller teams shouldn't play each other if possible. So if team 13, 14 and 15 are smaller match "13 vs 14 vs 15" should be avoided if possible. (While match "13 vs 14 vs …" can't be avoided since team 13 has to play team 14 at least once.)

The rules are ordered according to importance, rule 1 is the most important.

The answer to this problem may be given in any form: group theory, graphs, algebra ect.
Buy I prefer some kind of pseudocode so I can easily make a Mathematica workbook or C++ application. Of course every little tip is very welcome, it doesn't have to be a complete solution!

Many thanks,
Eric

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Eric,

Thank you for sharing your math problem with us. It seems like you have put a lot of thought into creating a fair and efficient tournament algorithm. I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and then combining them to create a comprehensive solution. Here are some steps that I would take to solve this problem:

1. Determine the minimum number of rounds required for all teams to play every game at least once. This will depend on the total number of teams and games, as well as the number of teams that can play in each game. This will help us establish a baseline for the number of rounds needed in the tournament.

2. Create a table or graph to visualize the teams and games. This will help us see the relationships between teams and games, as well as identify any potential conflicts that may arise based on the rules you have outlined.

3. Use a combination of group theory and graph theory to create an algorithm that assigns teams to games in a fair and efficient manner. This may involve creating a matrix that represents the relationships between teams and games, and then using algorithms such as the Hungarian method or the Ford-Fulkerson algorithm to assign teams to games while following the rules you have outlined.

4. Test and refine the algorithm. This may involve running simulations with different numbers of teams, games, and rounds to see how the algorithm performs. This will also help identify any potential flaws or conflicts that may arise, and allow us to make adjustments to the algorithm.

5. Once the algorithm is finalized, create pseudocode or a flowchart that outlines the steps and logic of the algorithm. This will make it easier to implement the algorithm in a programming language such as Mathematica or C++, as you have mentioned.

I hope this helps guide you in solving your tournament planning problem. Good luck! If you have any further questions or need any clarifications, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is the best algorithm for planning a tournament with a specific number of people and games?

The best algorithm for planning a tournament with a specific number of people and games would depend on various factors such as the number of people, the type of games, and the desired outcome. There is no one-size-fits-all algorithm for this task, and it would require further analysis and consideration of the specific requirements to determine the most suitable algorithm.

2. How do I ensure a fair distribution of games among all participants in the tournament?

To ensure a fair distribution of games among all participants in the tournament, an algorithm could be designed to rotate players and games in a round-robin format. This would ensure that each participant plays an equal number of games and against a diverse range of opponents.

3. Can I use a random algorithm for planning a tournament with a specific number of people and games?

While it is possible to use a random algorithm for planning a tournament, it may not result in a fair distribution of games and could lead to some participants playing more games than others. It is recommended to use a more structured and systematic approach to ensure fairness in the tournament.

4. How can I account for potential conflicts or scheduling constraints when planning a tournament?

To account for potential conflicts or scheduling constraints, an algorithm could be designed to take into consideration any known conflicts or constraints and adjust the tournament schedule accordingly. This could include avoiding scheduling games for certain participants at specific times or days.

5. Are there any existing algorithms or software programs available for planning tournaments?

Yes, there are existing algorithms and software programs specifically designed for planning tournaments with a specific number of people and games. These programs can help automate the process and ensure a fair and efficient tournament schedule. However, it is important to carefully evaluate and choose the most suitable algorithm or software for the specific tournament needs.