Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tech Quiz - II

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's the second set of questions. I'll post the link to the answers after sufficent participation.

1. The picture shown below is one of the world's earliest __________.What?
    [​IMG]

2. The comic strip shown below is a reference to a famous 'experiment'.Which one?(Hint: The experiment bears the name of a scientist whose name is the first word that has been blocked out.)
    [​IMG]

3. The three sets of pictures shown below are connected by a name.Identify the pictures and the name.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. What are the two words that have been blocked out?Also,what is this stamp a reference to?(Two words again).
    [​IMG]

5. Connect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The two pictures are connected by the name of a famous scientist.Identify the pictures and the scientist.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. The map shown below depicts the major regions where ______________(X) occurs.Scientists believe that X has adverse effects on health and disrupts the delicate ecological balance, apart from consuming huge amounts of energy.What is X?

[​IMG]

8. Shown below are pictures of famous scientists from different fields, ranging from virology to atomic physics.Many of these scientists are Nobel laureates,who received their Nobel prizes during the period 1944-1964.During this period these scientists were also collectively 'honoured' by somebody.What are we talking about?

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2
    >>Question number six is pretty interesting. Although elements such as gold, silver, tin, copper, lead and mercury have been known since antiquity, the first scientific discovery of an element occurred in 1649 when Hennig Brand discovered phosphorous. The first image in that question is a color blindness test, and one famous scientist that was closly related to color blindness was John Dalton, the man behind the theory of atoms.

I suppose that the image of the periodic table is from 1808?
    <<

Edit: wrote the answer before it was moved to BT. Now it is the bg color.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    Some answers
    >>

1. I think it's a fridge.

2. Maxwell's Demon

3. Bose; J.C.Bose's theory on the ascent of a sap, BEC, Amar Bose (Bose speakers and stuff)

5. Wow! (Signal) and the the message from Earth to ETI (when converted to a graphical version from 0's and 1's?)

<<

5. Oct 1, 2006 #4
    4. >>Brooklyn, NY ?<<

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My attempt:

>>
    1. Could be anything really - from a CD tray to the first batch of Czochralsky silicon to a hard drive...

2. While the text is suggestive of neutrino's guess, I'm going to go with Schrodinger's Cat - from the pictures

3. Neutrino got this one - it's Bose. I'd guessed the same thing, but entirely based on the middle picture.

4. I don't know which part of the question I'm answering here, but I'm going with the obvious - Mersenne Prime.

5. This one is totally bizarre - I'm clueless, so naturally I have to do the honorable thing and make a wild guess: Matrix? (next guess would be Babbage)

6. Mattara got this - it's Dalton. And the second picture was, in fact, drawn by Dalton himself. So that's Dalton's handwriting you see there. Incidentally, I had almost an identical question composed for a science quiz that I'd written and was planning to put up later, but now I'm going to have to dump this one!

7. Can't come up with any reasonable guess that would explain the fairly high intensity of X, for instance, in the South Atlantic, near the Falkland Islands!

8. Not a clue...but I'll go with Time Magazine (Persons of the Year?)

<<

7. Oct 1, 2006 #6
    The most resonable answer to 7. should be >>air pollution, since the main areas are Europe, USA and Japan. Notice the intensity in the German Ruhr area.<<

8. Oct 1, 2006 #7
    >>So is the western part of the US that clean, with all those beautiful, green cities like LA?:rolleyes: One reason that I'm not able to come up with an answer is that the region around Northern-most India, among other places, seems to be exposed to high intensity of X.

Something primarily confined to the northern hemisphere. Can't be aurora, air/noise/light pollution. I'd be surprised if it is light pollution.
    <<

9. Oct 1, 2006 #8

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2) is indeed Maxwell's demon.
    3) is Bose.
    The fist pic is a crescograph in invented by Jagdish Chandra Bose
    The second pic is of Comell and Wiemann for creating the Bose-Einstien condenstae (after Satyendranath Bose)
    The final pic is of Amar Bose, of Bose corporation fame.

5) is WOW! signal and Arecibo message.

4) I'll give it to Gokul. The word's blocked out are "IS PRIME", in ref to Mersenne Primes.

Mattra and Gokul got the 6th one. It's John Dalton. He was color blind (the pic is the Ishihara test for color blindness) and the other pic is the table of elements published by Dalton

8) Is bang on. The 15 US scientists were Time magazine's men of the year for 1960.

7) Is indeed Light pollution. The pic is a famous image of the world at night. The intensity near the falkland islands initially threw me off as well.

Only the first question left.

10. Oct 1, 2006 #9
    :surprised
    I've seen them before, but I thought this was a "googly" of sorts.

11. Oct 2, 2006 #10
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  12. Oct 2, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to be a sore loser...but that's a badly written question. Maxwell's Demon is NOT a famous experiment!

13. Oct 2, 2006 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1. Hard Disk Drives.

14. Oct 2, 2006 #13
    I think using "'Experiment'" instead of "Experiment" is sufficiently correct without giving away a vital clue, despite the fact this one was very easy even for me I didn't have to google that :D.

15. Oct 2, 2006 #14
    More information about 6. can be found in the 2nd video lecture form MIT at http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Materials-Science-and-Engineering/3-091Fall-2004/CourseHome/index.htm

16. Sep 3, 2007 #15
    Davy's Lamp

I think the first one is the ancestor of the miner's lamp, popularly known as davy's lamp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?