Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technibaryon transformation

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    Consider a model with an exact ##SU(N_{TC})## techni-color symmetry and a ##SU(N_{TF})_L\otimes SU(N_{TF})_R## global techni-flavour symmetry which is spontaneously broken to the diagonal sub-group ##SU(N_{TF})## by condensates producing techni-pions (TC\pi) and techni-baryons(TCb).
    What i'm trying to understand is how the various TCb transform under ##SU(N_{TF})## and ##SU(2)_{spin}##.
    Because the wave-function is totally antisymmetric in techni-color we expect that TCb must be fully symmetric in spin and techni-flavour. Following the line of thought of Georgi's chapter 15 I have embedded ##SU(N_{TF})## and ##SU(2)_{spin}## in a ##SU(2N_{TF})##. The TCb transform under this ##SU(2N_{TF})## like a ##N_{TC}## completely symmetric combination, or in Young tableaux notation like a tableaux with ##N_{TC}## horizontal box. Now Georgi says that to understand what representation of ##SU(N_{TF})## and ##SU(2)_{spin}## are contained in the fully symmetric representation of ##SU(2N_{TF})## we must take the tensor product of all tableaux with ##N_{TC}## boxes of ##SU(N_{TF})## and ##SU(2)_{spin}## and see if they contain the fully symmetric representation. The results (see for example Chivukula, R.S. & Walker, T.P., 1989. Technicolor cosmology, Boston, MA: Boston Univ.) should be the following:
    -For ##N_{TC}=3## Schermata 2015-09-07 alle 17.55.43.png

-For ##N_{TC}=4## Schermata 2015-09-07 alle 17.55.28.png
    The problem is that, except for the ##N=3## case, I'm not able to obtain the fully symmetric representation by taking the tensor product of this tableaux.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think we necessarily need to have the totally symmetric representation of ##SU(2N_{TF})##, just a representation that reduces to the trivial representation of ##S_{N_{TC}}##. Any diagram that is trivial after deleting all rows with ##N_{TC}## or more boxes from the diagram will work. The totally symmetric representation for ##SU(2N_{TF}## will work, but so will others.

Looking at the products of the representations in your reference, we have
    young1.JPG
    where in the middle line we actually have a few copies of the trivial ##S_4## representation appearing. For the missing representations like
    young2.JPG
    we can see that we don't have enough boxes in the rows to make a trivial ##S_4## representation.

4. Sep 8, 2015 #3
    Yes I agree with this.
    Why I can delete all the rows with ##N_{TC}## or more boxes?
    Am I wrong or the trivial representation of ##S_4## is a Young tableaux with 4 horizontal boxes?

5. Sep 8, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes it is, but a Young tableaux with 4 horizontal columns of any equal size is also the trivial representation. So I mean delete in the same way that you would if you had a column with ##N## boxes for ##SU(N)##.

6. Sep 8, 2015 #5
    Could you suggest some reference where this result is derived?

7. Sep 8, 2015 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Georgi discusses the Young tableaux for ##S_n## in sects 1.21-24. The trouble is that we already know that irreps of ##S_4## never have more than 4 boxes so not all of the rules there apply (for instance we can't naively compute the dimension using 8 as the number of boxes). But we can assign ##j##-cycles to the the boxes, so we get 4 2-cycles on 4 objects, which should be easy to show is reducible to 4 1-cycles.

8. Sep 8, 2015 #7
    Are you sure? For example the four 2-cycles (12)(23)(14)(23) do not seem to be equivalent to four 1-cycles.

9. Sep 8, 2015 #8

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rules of the Young Tableau are that the columns are the ##j##-cycles and that we can't repeat an index in the same row. If we had a valid diagram, we would never repeat an index in any box, but with more than ##n## boxes we have to relax something.

With the above rules we only get elements like (13)(21)(34)(42) that are always reducible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook