Why is the Conversion Factor for kg-force 0.1?

In summary, the book says that a metal wire has a density of 10,300[kg-mass/m3], so the student's solution is about 10 times too low.
Karol

Homework Statement

The specific mass of iron doesn´t seem right in the technical system.
Iron is about 8[gr/cm3]
I know the weight of 1[m3] steel is about 8 tons.

Homework Equations

The definition of the kilogram-force unit in the tehnical system is the weight of a mass of 1 kilogram:
1[kgf]=>1[kg]x10

The Attempt at a Solution

`
That was the definition, now:
1[kgf]=0.1[kg-mass]x10
=>1[kg]=0.1[kg-mass]
8[gr/cm3]=8000[kg/m3]
I have to divide the mass with 10 to get gk-mass:
8000[kg/m3]=800[kg-mass/m3]
And in a book it´s written that a certain metal wire has a density of 10,300[kg-mass/m3]
So my solution is about 10 times too low

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

The specific mass of iron doesn´t seem right in the technical system.
Iron is about 8[gr/cm3]
I know the weight of 1[m3] steel is about 8 tons.

Homework Equations

The definition of the kilogram-force unit in the tehnical system is the weight of a mass of 1 kilogram:
1[kgf]=>1[kg]x10

The Attempt at a Solution

`
That was the definition, now:
1[kgf]=0.1[kg-mass]x10
=>1[kg]=0.1[kg-mass]
8[gr/cm3]=8000[kg/m3]
I have to divide the mass with 10 to get gk-mass:
8000[kg/m3]=800[kg-mass/m3]
And in a book it´s written that a certain metal wire has a density of 10,300[kg-mass/m3]
So my solution is about 10 times too low
one kgf (which is not an SI unit) is the weight of one kg of mass on planet earth.
A kilogram of mass (designated as kg) has a weight of about 9.8 Newtons (call it 10 N) in SI units. But you are not using SI, so you are dividing by 10 when you shouldn't be.

I don´t talk about Newtons, only kg and kg-mass.
If 1[kgf]=0.1[kg-mass]x10 is correct (is it?) and with the definition of kgf, then to convert from kg-mass to kg i have to multiply by ten, no?

Karol said:
I don´t talk about Newtons, only kg and kg-mass.
If 1[kgf]=0.1[kg-mass]x10 is correct (is it?) and with the definition of kgf, then to convert from kg-mass to kg i have to multiply by ten, no?
No, that is not correct. A kg-mass and a kg are one and the same. If you multiply kg-mass , which is a kg, by 10 (or actually 9.8 m/sec^2, let's use 10), you get the weight of one kg in the SI unit of Newtons, on Earth.

It gets very confusing when using different systems of measure like SI, metric, technical, or Imperial units.

A kg of force is actually F = (m/g)(a), where m is in kilograms, g is 10, and a is the acceleration in m/sec^2. On Earth, when you calculate the weight of 1 kg of mass, the acceleration is g or 10 m/sec^2, so the equation becomes F = (m/g)(g), the g's cancel, so F =m. That is , one kg of mass weighs one kg of force, on Earth. The book answer is correct.

Why is F=(m/g)a? especially why (m/g)? does it come from the definition of kg-force?

Karol said:
Why is F=(m/g)a? especially why (m/g)? does it come from the definition of kg-force?
yes, it's a conversion factor. Another way to look at it is to rewrite Newtons 2nd Law as
F = kma and W = kmg. m is in kg and a or g is in m/s^2. If you want your force or weight in Newtons , k= 1. If you want your force or weight in kg-force, k = 0.1 (in round numbers). The kg- force unit should be avoided whenever possible.

What is the "Technical System of Units"?

The "Technical System of Units" is a system of measurement used in science, engineering, and technology. It is also known as the International System of Units (SI) and is based on seven base units: meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela.

Why is the "Technical System of Units" important in science?

The "Technical System of Units" is important in science because it provides a standardized and consistent way of measuring physical quantities. This allows for accurate and precise communication of data and results between scientists and across different fields of study.

How is the "Technical System of Units" different from other systems of measurement?

The "Technical System of Units" is different from other systems of measurement because it is a decimal-based system, meaning that units are related by powers of 10. This makes conversions between units much simpler and more intuitive. It is also a coherent system, meaning that all units can be derived from the seven base units.

What are the advantages of using the "Technical System of Units"?

There are several advantages of using the "Technical System of Units." One is that it is a globally recognized system, making it easier for scientists and engineers from different countries to communicate and collaborate. It is also a standardized system, ensuring consistency and accuracy in measurements. Additionally, the decimal-based and coherent nature of the system makes it easier to use and understand.

What are some common prefixes used in the "Technical System of Units"?

Some of the most common prefixes used in the "Technical System of Units" are kilo (k), centi (c), milli (m), micro (μ), and nano (n). These prefixes indicate factors of 10, and are used to express larger or smaller quantities of a unit. For example, 1 kilometer is equal to 1000 meters, and 1 milligram is equal to 0.001 grams.