Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technicolour and Black Holes

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    I know we haven't yet discovered that a technicolour force actually exists, but it seems to be worked out to some extent mathematically? (Not to say there hasn't been a false alarm, or two)

I'm just curious that if it did end up existing, has the math been worked out far enough to see if it could play a role in black hole collapse.

Is this a force that could kick in even after neutron degeneracy pressure fails, and halt collapse before a singularity forms?

It's supposed to kick in at higher energies than the strong force, which makes it sound like it could potentially play a role, but I don't have a clue really.

any insights?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

A star made of techniquarks? I suppose. But in view of the fact that black holes are being found almost everywhere we look, why would we be interested in a theory that prevents them?

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    I though the technicolour force carriers would "pop" out of "normal" matter at extreme energies. How else would they find them at the LHC, where they are colliding basic particles together?

Sorry I probably wasn't clear in my OP. It's not to prevent black holes. Rather, would it prevent collapse all the way to a singularity, r=0?

You don't neen an infinitely dense "object" of zero volume to produce a black hole.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook