Technique to detect thin metal film break?

In summary: I presume this is a non-contact measurement.In summary, the thin metal film is scored with some pattern to 50-80% of its thickness. When exerted shear stress, the film will crack/open at score. I wonder what simple/practical techniques can be used to detect its pinhole or opening in real time?
ummux
The thin metal film is scored with some pattern to 50-80% of its thickness. When exerted shear stress, the film will crack/open at score. I wonder what simple/practical techniques can be used to detect its pinhole or opening in real time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Micromagnetic Method (Barkhausen Noise Analysis)

Electrical resistance?

this is a technique we use to check for grind burn when making gears..the gear grinder may over heat the metal during machining and cause sub surface flaws that can not be detected.

so by placing a probe on the surface and generating flux lines ( alternating) you then use another probe to scan the surface..and check for resistance..a good gear will have a low current reading since the surface is a good conductor
a flawed or cracked surface will require more current..and you have indication of cracks..

Ranger Mike said:
so by placing a probe on the surface and generating flux lines ( alternating) you then use another probe to scan the surface..and check for resistance..a good gear will have a low current reading since the surface is a good conductor
a flawed or cracked surface will require more current..and you have indication of cracks..

Thank you. Our thin metal disc is used inside a pipeline and block fluid from one side to the other. When over pressure, it breaks at score and release fluid. Need to send fail-safe signal as breaking.

This method also report peak signal in score area without breaking through. I also hope to use some non-moving part ( no scan) as detector and don't use analysis tools (idealy by using electric circuitry and filter or bridges)

Any simple technology can be applied, which is sensitive to examining metal film (0.005 inch in thickness or so) rupture (break-through, not surface crack) ?

Andy Resnick said:
Electrical resistance?

Thank you , Andy.

Do you have some idea on how to measure the change in resistance of such disc (say 6in in diameter and 0.005in in thickness)? The resistivity of metal is about 10E-8. This is a nice idea (simple to implement) if I find a way to measure the R properly.

Do you mean 1.0 x 10^-8 ohm meters? (copper is about 1.5 x 10^-8 ohm meters) Is this a measurement prior to installation, or an in-situ measurement? Is this a magnetic or non magnetic material (e.g., nickel or copper) ? Are you looking for scores or pinholes? How long a score? I presume this is a non-contact measurement. Eddy current tests in the 10-100 kHz using a ferrite pickup are a good way for detecting scores, but not pinholes.

Bright light or laser shining through or being reflected off of the metal? You could pick up the light with a photodiode.

ummux said:
Thank you , Andy.

Do you have some idea on how to measure the change in resistance of such disc (say 6in in diameter and 0.005in in thickness)? The resistivity of metal is about 10E-8. This is a nice idea (simple to implement) if I find a way to measure the R properly.

I'm vaguely familiar with your application, but not the specifics. I was assuming some sort of rapid and catastrophic rupture occurs, so I was just thinking to apply contacts on either side of the score- when the disc ruptures, the resistance would very rapidly increase.

Engineering fail-safe signals is not something I have experinece with, tho.

It should be easy enough to establish a proof-of-concept with a simple multimeter and a couple of leads.

My application is:

1. Disc material is stainless steel (resistivity is 7.5E-7ohm-m, non magnetic) but sometimes uses nickel (magnetic).

2. The examination is done when it is installed in the pipeline but we can isolate the disc from the disc at the flange.

3. Score is pre-made and I am not to detect it. It is a circular line on the surface. If there is weakness on some part of the score and further into a pinhole, that is the part to inspect.

4. If the disc is full open at all area of the score I can detect so my problem is only to detect if there is pinhole on the score.

5. I try to look for either electrical or electromagnetic technology in use, but did not find a way out.

ummux said:
The thin metal film is scored with some pattern to 50-80% of its thickness. When exerted shear stress, the film will crack/open at score. I wonder what simple/practical techniques can be used to detect its pinhole or opening in real time?
Are you talking about detecting it while it is opening, or before it opens? Will this detection device be installed 100% of the time or used only during inspection? Can something be attached to the foil, or is this a non-contact measurement? What is the pressure difference across this foil? I have seen foils like this used up to 15 psi (vacuum).

Bob S said:
Are you talking about detecting it while it is opening, or before it opens? Will this detection device be installed 100% of the time or used only during inspection? Can something be attached to the foil, or is this a non-contact measurement? What is the pressure difference across this foil? I have seen foils like this used up to 15 psi (vacuum).

I detect the disc immediately after a opening (either fully tearing at score or a small slit/pinhole, the latter is for this discussion) and the examination is continuous during pipeline process for maybe 24 hours or more. One side of the film is fluid (liquid or gas) the other is atmeosphere. Sensor can be attached to the foil and it should only at the atmosphere side.

So I hope some simply, small power consumption sensing element will work for this.

1. Is Eddy Current probe suitable for continuous working without overheat problem?
2. Can piezo-electric and/or acoustic work for it? If fluid come out of the film, the vibration character is changed. If so, where I can find the dynamic model to start with, and is it easy to filter the pipe noise?

1. How does the technique to detect thin metal film break work?

The technique to detect thin metal film break works by using a specialized instrument, such as a scanning electron microscope or an atomic force microscope, to scan the surface of the metal film. The instrument detects any changes in the surface topography that may indicate a break or flaw in the film.

2. What types of metal films can be detected using this technique?

This technique can be used to detect thin metal films made of any conductive material, such as copper, gold, aluminum, or silver. It can also be used to detect films of varying thicknesses, from a few nanometers to several micrometers.

3. How sensitive is this technique in detecting breaks in metal films?

This technique is highly sensitive and can detect even the smallest breaks or flaws in metal films. It is capable of detecting breaks as small as a few nanometers in size.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using this technique?

One limitation of this technique is that it can only detect breaks on the surface of the metal film. It cannot detect breaks that occur within the film itself. Additionally, the instrument used for this technique can be expensive and may require specialized training to operate.

5. How is this technique useful in practical applications?

This technique is useful in a variety of practical applications, such as quality control in manufacturing processes, failure analysis of metal components, and research and development of new materials. It can also be used to detect defects in electronic devices and to monitor the reliability of metal films over time.