1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technique to solve integral

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What technique would you use to do the integral:

[tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dy dz \frac{1}{(1+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}} [/tex]

?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    Change to polar coordinates. Then it's trivial.

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not utterly trivial, Rainbow Child:
    Although the "radial" integration will go easy enough, the limits for the unit square, as represented in polar coordinates are somewhat nasty.

5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    Yes. But after the integration, he can change back to cartesian coordinates. :smile:

6. Jan 26, 2008 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Eeh, no.

We get:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{ugly}^{UGLY}\frac{rdrd\d\theta}{(1+r^{2})^{\frac{5}{2}}}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}(|_{ugly}^{UGLY}-\frac{1}{3}(1+r^{2})^{-\frac{3}{2}})d\theta[/tex]
    You can't shift this "back" into Cartesian coordinates in any simple, valid manner.

7. Jan 26, 2008 #6
    I get

[tex] (\theta_2 - \theta_1)(-1/3 (1+r^2)^{-3/2})|^{r_2}_{r_1} [/tex]

How do I change back to rectangular coordinates?

EDIT: arildno beat me

8. Jan 26, 2008 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would treat 1 + z^2 as A

The solving [tex] \int dy\frac{1}{(A+y^2)^{5/2}} = \frac{2y^3+3Ay}{3A^2(y^2+A)^{3/2}} [/tex] (used mathematica..) I think you can use integral by parts.

9. Jan 26, 2008 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, I'll do a bit more:

"ugly" is 0, so it wasn't too ugly after all.

Here's UGLY:
    [tex]0\leq\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{4}, r=\frac{1}{\cos\theta}, \frac{\pi}{4}\leq\theta\frac{3\pi}{4}, r=\frac{1}{\sin\theta}[/tex]
    and so on around the unit square.

This is not at all simple to go further with.

10. Jan 26, 2008 #9
    Maybe there is no reasonable way to do it. Mathematica gave a nice simple answer so I thought there would be. But I was probably wrong.

11. Jan 26, 2008 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, it is probably something far more cleverer than trivial coordinate change that is needed here.

12. Jan 26, 2008 #11

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did you find this integral?

I got by doing the whole in mathematica:

[tex] \left[ 2z + \sqrt{z^2+1} \left( \frac{2z}{3(z^2+1)} + \frac{z}{3(z^2+1)^2} \right) \right] _{z=0}^1 [/tex]

13. Jan 26, 2008 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That must be wrong, malawi, since the given integral is clearly less than 1 in value, whereas yours is greater than 2.

14. Jan 26, 2008 #13
    I see no substitution that makes this an easy one. However the direct calculation is not that extreme. However I have to admit I used a little help from the integrator. I changed the variables a bit, z became x, sorry for that. Call [tex]1+y^2=A^2[/tex], the inner integral becomes:

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{\left[A^2+x^2\right]^{\frac{5}{2}}}[/tex]

This can be solved using:

[tex]x=A \cdot sinh(t)[/tex]

giving then:

[tex]\int_0^{arcsinh \left(\frac{1}{A}\right)} \frac{dt}{cosh^4(t)}[/tex]

I did this integral with the integrator. After filling in the limits and replacing A again with y,
    I got:

[tex]\frac{1}{3 \cdot (1+y^2)^2 \sqrt{2+y^2}}\cdot \left(\frac{5+3y^2}{2+y^2}\right)[/tex]

We are left with the following:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{3}\int_0^1 \frac{5+3y^2} {(1+y^2)^2 \cdot \left(2+y^2\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}dy[/tex]

This integral can also be found using the integrator. After filling in the limits I got:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{18}\left(2\sqrt{3}+\pi\right)[/tex]

Sorry for the integrator use, but it's late and I don't have the time right now to solve them by hand. Can this result be confirmed by anyone?

15. Jan 26, 2008 #14
    Yes. I cheated a bit too (used Maple 11) and obtained

[tex]
    \frac{\pi}{18}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{9}
    [/tex]

16. Jan 27, 2008 #15
    You are right, this

was stupid statement, since I didn't paid much attention to the limits of the integration. Even though the resulting can be evaluted without by hand (but not trivially :smile: !!!).

The region of integration in polar coordinates becames

[tex]\mathcal{D}_1=\left\{(r,\theta):0<\theta<\frac{\pi}{4},0<r<\frac{1}{\cos\theta}\right\},\, \mathcal{D}_2=\left\{(r,\theta):\frac{\pi}{4}<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2},0<r<\frac{1}{\sin\theta}\right\}[/tex]

thus

[tex]I=\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dx dy \frac{1}{(1+x^2+y^2)^{5/2}}=\int\int_{\mathcal{D}_1}d\theta\,dr\frac{r}{(1+r^2)^{5/2}}+\int\int_{\mathcal{D}_2}d\theta\,dr\frac{r}{(1+r^2)^{5/2}}=I_1+I_2[/tex]

The first integral [tex]I_1[/tex] reads

[tex]I_1=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}d\theta\int_0^{1/\cos\theta}dr\frac{r}{(1+r^2)^{5/2}}=-\frac{1}{3}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}d\theta\left(\frac{1}{(1+1/\cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}-1\right)=-\frac{1}{3}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}d\theta\frac{\cos^3\theta}{(1+\cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}+\frac{\pi}{12}=-\frac{1}{3}\,J_1+\frac{\pi}{12}[/tex]

The integral [tex]J_1[/tex] reads

[tex]J_1=\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}d(\sin\theta)\frac{\cos^2\theta}{(1+\cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}=\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}d(\sin\theta)\frac{1-\sin^2\theta}{(2-\sin^2\theta)^{3/2}}}}=\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}dt\frac{2-t^2}{(2-t^2)^{3/2}}-\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}dt\frac{1}{(2-t^2)^{3/2}}=\arcsin\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}\Big|_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}-\frac{t}{2\,\sqrt{2-t^2}}\Big|_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
    [tex]J_1=\frac{\pi}{6}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}\Rightarrow I_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}+\frac{\pi}{36}[/tex]

Similary for the 2nd integral [tex]I_2[/tex] we have

[tex]I_2=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}+\frac{\pi}{36}[/tex]

yielding to

[tex]I=\frac{\pi}{18}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{9}[/tex]

as coomast and Troels posted.

Obviously not trivial! :smile:

17. Jan 27, 2008 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Supercool, RainbowChild, tenacity's reward to you! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?