Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technology 200 years from now?

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    What would be cool to have?

What if we could shrink a peptide synthesis machine onto an implantable nanochip and wirelessly send it instructions to generate any sequence of peptides we wanted? If a pathogen mutates, maybe you could find something immunogenic on its surface, send the peptide sequence after figuring out what it is to the nanochip and have it synthesize the peptide which would hopefully be attacked by the immune system and help boost innate immunity. It would be like a virus software update for humans!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Let me get your idea straight: a pathogen is discovered, an appropriate antigen is determined, the sequence of this antigen is emailed to this nanochip* implant, the implant synthesises it conferring immunity? It seems all you have done here is slightly speed up vacination by having people synthesise the vaccine inside themselves rather than get it injected. Considering the risk involved in your proposal (how would cyberwarfare look if you could hack everyone's chip and infect them all with botulinum toxin?) and the ease of vaccination IRL I'm not seeing a positive cost/benefit ratio. What would really help in this field is technology that allows for cheap and rapid characterisation of antigens and technology allowing for cheap and rapid clinical testing (e.g. complex 3d tissue constructs). With the rise of mass transit, environmental infiltration, urbanisation and antibiotic resistance it will become increasingly important in the future to be able to identify and develop treatments and vaccines for infectious diseases.

From my point of view one "cool" thing to have in the future would be a socioeconomic model that guarantees the elimination of absolute poverty and ensures general prosperity in a sustainable manner. Get that right and we can breathe a sigh of relief before heading off to solve other problems.

*This may be a personal bugbear but gratuitous use of the nano- prefix is incredibly common and detracts from the actual discipline IMO by conveying no information other than "doesn't this sound sexy and futuristic?? Invest!"

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Predicting 200 years in the future is very, very difficult. Do you think George Washington could have forseen a man on the moon? Or Thomas Jefferson could have predicted cell phones?

5. Jul 13, 2012 #4

Ryan_m_b

Agreed. The further out we try to predict the greater the chance of an uknown unknown cropping up and changing everything. It might be possible to look toward the year 2022 and predict that most things would probably be exactly the same (including various artefacts of technology from today e.g. cutlery, shops, cars) as well as predict which things that we don't have now we probably will have (policies/technologies that are on the horizon e.g. AR glasses) but its likely that one or more black swan events will occur that radically change the landscape.

6. Jul 13, 2012 #5
    I'd say I'm looking forward to progress in computing like quantum computers. Human intelligence and ingenuity are great, but brute force number crunching can save centuries of effort for things we really need help with today. For example, as far as I'm concerned current economic theories are little better than a pot belly stove when what we require is a ecologically friendly jet engine.

7. Jul 16, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

Hence why a positive new paradigm would be pretty good.
    I see your ecologically friendly jet engine and raise you ecologically friendly, economically viable energy production.

8. Jul 16, 2012 #7
    Wonder what the newest release of WoW would be like?? :smile:

9. Jul 16, 2012 #8
    I wonder what Washington and Jefferson would have thought of the Supreme Court decision making corporations persons.

10. Jul 16, 2012 #9
  11. Jul 16, 2012 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook