Technology and the chronology of expressions

In summary: The term 'brass monkey', or even just 'monkey' has never been used to describe something for holding cannon ballsCannon balls are not stored in such a way that they can easily fall, for obvious reasonsSince this is PhysicsForums you should consider the difference between the coefficient of thermal expansion of iron and of brass in comparison to the manufacturing tolerance of cannon ballsanother origin story has to do with the "Kelvin spheres" on a marine binnacle.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Can the chronological occurrence of expressions be roughly matched to the chronology of technology?

For example, some expressions such as "red as a beet" make sense in the context of early technology - you need adequate agriculture to make beets a common food item. Other expressions such as "dead as door nail" assume a (perhaps) later technology - the technology for forging nails. If I say "Ned short circuited our plans", I'm alluding to the technology of electricity, which comes after the technology of forging nails.

Science news on Phys.org
Groucho Marx: "You know you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle"

Today, nobody knows what a phonograph or a phonograph needle is.
Vaccination remains to be seen.

Likes hutchphd
Stephen Tashi said:
Can the chronological occurrence of expressions be roughly matched to the chronology of technology?
Well, the matching would be very rough. For example, the "Valley girl" phrase "Gag me with a spoon!" couldn't occur before the invention of that implement for food consumption. :oldbiggrin:

I doubt that anyone would understand the term "vaporware" before the rise of Microsoft Windows.

Likes BillTre
Fred Wright said:
I doubt that anyone would understand the term "vaporware" before the rise of Microsoft Windows.
Or the term "window" in the context of computers.

Likes Evo
Very clever:
Vanadium 50 said:
Groucho Marx: "You know you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle"

Today, nobody knows what a phonograph or a phonograph needle is.
Vaccination remains to be seen.
Stephen Tashi is right.

Many or I would say most of us know about phonographs and the phonograph needle.

Stephen Tashi said:
Yes, I think so.

Vanadium 50 said:
You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle...
Guess every language (and maybe: every country) has some kind of collection about phrases and their origins. Linguistics just loves these kind of lists about old stuff.

I've found just two related phrases in a short internet search: "The Whole 9 Yards" and "put a sock in it". Sure there are lot more but already, these are hard to understand without the (historical) context.

Ps.: well, according to some further search the origin of the first one may predate the later 'technological' adjustments, but still... It'll do as an example: also, an example for recycling :wink:

Likes Evo
I am sure most people don't understand the technology behind this one, except that it must be something about how cold it is, probably really cold.

It is cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey

256bits said:
I am sure most people don't understand the technology behind this one, except that it must be something about how cold it is, probably really cold.

It is cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey
there are competing ideas on the origin of that one, what's yours?

And I have never heard that outside of internet origins of phrases threads.

A girlfriend ( English ) used to say the phrase in winter.
I don't remember if she knew what a brass monkey was.

gmax137 said:
there are competing ideas on the origin of that one, what's yours?
I know only one, the cannon balls in cold weather would fall on the brass monkey ( holding tray ).
Others??

Vanadium 50 said:
And I have never heard that outside of internet origins of phrases threads.
The phrase "brass monkey weather" in particular (as well as, less commonly, its longer source) has been used in England by people I know since the 1960s.

256bits said:
I know only one, the cannon balls in cold weather would fall on the brass monkey ( holding tray ).
There are three obvious problems with that explanation:
  • The term 'brass monkey', or even just 'monkey' has never been used to describe something for holding cannon balls
  • Cannon balls are not stored in such a way that they can easily fall, for obvious reasons
  • Since this is PhysicsForums you should consider the difference between the coefficient of thermal expansion of iron and of brass in comparison to the manufacturing tolerance of cannon balls

Likes 256bits
another origin story has to do with the "Kelvin spheres" on a marine binnacle. I don't know if that one makes any more sense than the cannon ball tray.

Personally I think it's just a made up phrase based on how cold metal feels when it is... cold. So a brass monkey is just a cold piece of metal and the balls are just... the balls.

Do you see a monkey? Maybe, but it's a stretch.

binnacle.jpg

Likes 256bits

1. What is the relationship between technology and the chronology of expressions?

The relationship between technology and the chronology of expressions is that technology has played a significant role in shaping the way humans communicate and express themselves throughout history. As technology advances, new forms of expression emerge and existing forms may become obsolete.

2. How has technology influenced the way we express ourselves?

Technology has greatly influenced the way we express ourselves by providing new tools and platforms for communication and expression. This includes social media, digital art, and other forms of digital media that allow us to express ourselves in ways that were not possible before.

3. Has technology always been a part of human expression?

No, technology has not always been a part of human expression. Before the invention of tools and machines, humans used more primitive forms of expression such as cave paintings, oral storytelling, and physical gestures.

4. How has the chronology of expressions changed with the advancement of technology?

The chronology of expressions has changed significantly with the advancement of technology. New forms of expression have emerged, such as emojis and memes, while traditional forms like letter writing have become less common. Technology has also made it easier for expressions to spread and reach a wider audience.

5. Can technology negatively impact the chronology of expressions?

Yes, technology can have negative impacts on the chronology of expressions. For example, the overuse of digital communication can lead to a decrease in face-to-face interactions, which can affect the development of certain expressions and communication skills. Additionally, the reliance on technology can also lead to the loss of traditional forms of expression and cultural practices.