Ted Stevens: Innocent Despite Conviction?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I should also add that a Senator can be impeached, and then removed from office, even if they have not been convicted of a felony.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"I have not been convicted of anything," he maintained during a Thursday night debate in Anchorage, only days before Tuesday's election.
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/31/stevens.debate/?iref=mpstoryview

What is this business that I heard about Palin? She could remove Stevens if he wins, and take his place in the Senate? Is that right?

Of course, Stevens was indeed convicted of multiple crimes, but he still arrived to a cheering crowd at home, in Alaska! Hmmmmm.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that in Alaska, if you have been convicted of felonies, you aren't REALLY a felon until you have dragged out the appeal process as long as possible, and lost. I'd love to see Stevens try to cast a vote for himself Tuesday to test that theory. (Add voter fraud to the list of charges.)

He was tried in Federal Court, in DC, not in Alaska. He was convicted.

Ivan Seeking said:
What is this business that I heard about Palin? She could remove Stevens if he wins, and take his place in the Senate? Is that right?

It could well be, though I don't think she can remove him. She can appoint herself if he is removed or he resigns. That would be one way for her and Todd to get a new addition to their house for the Piper and the Trig to run around in.

I trust she understands that the US Senate doesn't offer per diems to stay at home and act like a queen.

Ivan Seeking said:
He was tried in Federal Court, in DC, not in Alaska.
That's the point - Washington is not 'the real america' (tm) so it doesn't count!

Ivan Seeking said:
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/31/stevens.debate/?iref=mpstoryview

Of course, Stevens was indeed convicted of multiple crimes, but he still arrived to a cheering crowd at home, in Alaska! Hmmmmm.

I don't think the governor can remove a Senator. Being a criminal doesn't bar someone from serving as a Senator. If he wins the election, the Senate, itself, would have to boot him out of the Senate. If they booted him out (or if Stevens resigned during the process), then Palin could probably replace him with someone else. Each state is different, but most allow the governor to appoint at least a temporary replacement, either to serve out the old Senator's term or until a special election can be held.

Sometimes, I just don't get why a politician has to cling to the possibility of continuing in office no matter what. It amazes me how they claim innocence right up until the day after they lose the election, then accept a plea bargain. The threat of losing an elected office is worse than the threat of prison.

mgb_phys said:
That's the point - Washington is not 'the real america' (tm) so it doesn't count!

Ugh, I need to get a "Sarah Palin's Real America" map. I don't what is America, and what's not!

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't what is America, and what's not!
Anywhere that ATF is a shopping list rather than a government agency.

Last edited:
wait a minute...being a convicted felon does not form an impediment to serving as a senator?. ... am i missing something here? there is a guy in georgia from an abusive home, who was accused of a sex crime against his sibling when he was 14, currently a responsible family man, who can't even live in a trailer if a school bus stops nearby. but he could be a senator? (where would he live?...)

Actually in Georgia a convicted felon can still vote as long as he hasn't started his sentence yet. There was an article in the paper the other day about rapper T.I. voting in Atlanta even though he's been convicted of felony weapons charges for trying to buy an assault weapon. Maybe other states, including Alaska, having something similar to this?

mathwonk said:
wait a minute...being a convicted felon does not form an impediment to serving as a senator?. ... am i missing something here? there is a guy in georgia from an abusive home, who was accused of a sex crime against his sibling when he was 14, currently a responsible family man, who can't even live in a trailer if a school bus stops nearby. but he could be a senator? (where would he live?...)

Yes. Believe it or not. Of course, he would have to leave the Senate Chamber every time a school bus stops near by...

There are several states that do not strip voting rights from felons, even while they are incarcerated. I think the one exception in VT would be a conviction of voting fraud.

I don't believe that he has exhausted his appeals as yet, in which case his conviction is only pending at least through the election.

Edit:
ADN said:
Still, Stevens is able to vote in Tuesday's election according to a state Department of Law ruling this week that his conviction isn't final.

That's because there's two ways to view the law: The popular interpretation that you're convicted when a jury declares you guilty, and a competing legal precedent that says the official conviction comes at sentencing.
http://www.adn.com/politics/story/574952.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What was Ted Stevens convicted of?

Ted Stevens was convicted of seven counts of making false statements on his financial disclosure forms in 2008.

2. What evidence was used to convict Ted Stevens?

The evidence used to convict Ted Stevens included testimony from his former aide, Bill Allen, and documents showing that Stevens had received expensive renovations to his home without reporting them on his financial disclosure forms.

3. Was Ted Stevens actually innocent?

The conviction of Ted Stevens was later overturned due to prosecutorial misconduct and failure to turn over exculpatory evidence. The judge in the case also appointed a special prosecutor who found evidence of prosecutorial misconduct, leading to the dismissal of all charges against Stevens. Therefore, it can be argued that Ted Stevens was actually innocent.

4. How did the case against Ted Stevens affect his political career?

The conviction against Ted Stevens led to his defeat in the 2008 election for his Senate seat. However, after the case was dismissed, Stevens attempted to regain his seat in the 2008 election, but was unsuccessful. He passed away in 2010.

5. What was the impact of the Ted Stevens case on the justice system?

The Ted Stevens case brought attention to the issue of prosecutorial misconduct and the importance of turning over all evidence, including exculpatory evidence, to the defense. It also highlighted the need for stricter ethical standards for prosecutors and the potential consequences of failing to follow these standards. The case led to changes in the Department of Justice's policies and practices regarding disclosure of evidence, such as the creation of the "Holder Memo" which requires prosecutors to turn over all favorable evidence to the defense.

Back